We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No White House Tours 12/24-01/04

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,583 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
No White House Tours 12/24-01/04

Hello TA community

I just got a letter today from my congressman stating that there are no White House tours from December 24th 2009-Jan. 4th, 2010 because they will be taking down the decorations. Just means I will have to come back another time!

Hope everyone has a peaceful and relaxing Thanksgiving.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
315 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No White House Tours 12/24-01/04

Perhaps that is why I haven't heard about my request for the 28th - 30th. It does surprise me that they are starting to take down the decorations on the 24th Dec, that's a bit early!! I hope there are still some left to see when I arrive on 28th as I wanted to take a picture of the White House Tree.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,736 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No White House Tours 12/24-01/04

Even if you got to take the tour of the White House, I don't believe any pictures are allowed.

The National Christmas Tree will still be decorated until January 2, 2010. It is across the street from the White House grounds.

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
523 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No White House Tours 12/24-01/04

No cameras are allowed in the White House. When I have a group, I meet them at the exit with all the cameras. For some reason--at least in the past--cell phones (even those that can take photos) are allowed. Bit of an inconsistency but those are the rules. You CANNOT take photos, however, with those cell phone cameras.

And the problem with White House tours can occur even after you have been confirmed for one. Tours can be canceled at the last minute for any reason.

Edited: 29 November 2009, 20:48
Cardiff
Level Contributor
315 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No White House Tours 12/24-01/04

I know there are no cameras allowed in the White House. I wasn't thinking of the Tree inside the White house, it was the one accross the road and the White House itself. Thanks for confirming this will still be decorated.

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No White House Tours 12/24-01/04

Thanks for posting that PA about the White House, as I was just trying to get tickets. Also info about the national tree is appreciated. What else will be decorated? Any other places closed like Capital, Supreme Court and Treasury? Many thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,736 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No White House Tours 12/24-01/04

Nearly everything is closed Christmas Day. And the Bureau of Engraving and Printing is closed the week between Christmas and New Years, if I remember correctly.

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
523 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No White House Tours 12/24-01/04

Mount Vernon is open Christmas Day. That is where you should head if you are in DC and looking for something to do. Smithsonian Museums are closed Christmas Day and New Year's Day. Mount Vernon is open 365 days a year.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,206 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No White House Tours 12/24-01/04

Smithsonian Museums are open on New Years Day. The only day of the year they're closed is Christmas Day.

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
523 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No White House Tours 12/24-01/04

As the previous poster mentioned, the Smithsonian is open on New Year's Day now. They used to be closed then.

Here is the website if you want to check http://www.si.edu/visit/hours.htm

Some museums have extended hours beginning in spring. Check the website closer to your trip if you plan to go then.

10. Re: No White House Tours 12/24-01/04

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 December 2009, 03:05