We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas

Saint Louis
Level Contributor
306 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Xmas

Thinking of spending Xmas in D.C. with the family. Any ideas on special events at that time of the year?

Maryland
Level Contributor
380 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xmas

If you are interested in Christmassy displays, the U.S. Botanic Gardens Conservatory, which is on the Mall just west of the Capitol, has an annual Christmas exhibit with poinsettias and trains that is very nice. In addition, the Capitol grounds display decorated Christmas trees and, of course, there is the national Chirstmas tree on the Ellipse.

Mentioned in this post
The Ellipse
The Ellipse
25 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xmas

I always love going to see the Gingerbread Sleigh (at least that is what it was last year) at the Williard Intercontinental Hotel next to the White House.

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,782 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
220 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xmas

You would want to see the National Christmas tree and the state trees. The lighting of the tree is a special event, but I'm not sure of the timing of same.

I don't know whether they are offering White House public tours at Christmas anymore, but if you can do that, I'm confident you'll enjoy it. They decorate for Christmas and have a national tree and music groups in the White House. (Very busy!)

Seeing Nutcracker (various theaters) and/or Christmas Carol (Fords theater typically) are family traditions that visitors might enjoy.

In the suburban area, there are typically various light "shows", parks that are decorated with thousands of lights and figures. They can be fun too. You just drive through and enjoy the lights.

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,782 Reviews
Washington DC, DC