We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with locations

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Help with locations

I am visiting DC april 15th to the 20th. We are planning on visiting Nationals Park for a game on Sunday April 19th. That is our only plans set so far. I have read through much on this forum and still cannot figure out which area to stay in.

We would like to see a few of the popular places, and we will not have a car. We will rely on public transportation. Could I get a few suggestions on what areas would be good for us.

We like walking, and parks, History, Restaurants to walk to, bars, live music at night, or even theatres. We visit a few new cities each year and like to explore the different areas, not just the most popular sites. I know its a general question and hard to answer, just looking for opinions, but must be able to use public transportation. I can't seem to find anything that is swaying me to any certain area. Thanks for any help

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with locations

Dupont Circle, Downtown and Penn Quarter in DC

Crystal City and Rosslyn in VA

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with locations

Dupont Circle is my #1 choice for visitors. Check out the new Dupont Hotel right on the Circle. Downtown/Penn Quarter is #2, with Foggy Bottom, Georgetown, and Capitol Hill all being reasonable choices as well. If you're looking for something more budget-friendly, Crystal City and Rosslyn are reasonable choices, as vjpblovesitaly indicates.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,939 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with locations

"I have read through much on this forum and still cannot figure out which area to stay in."

I can believe you can't make a decision on what area, but how can you not figure out what areas are good? If you want a mix of commercial and residential, then Dupont Circle is the best. If you want a lively downtown, mostly commercial area, then Penn Quarter is the best. But you have to take charge and just decide. There are very few areas that are not good, and since you have been reading, then you know which those are.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with locations

Thank you vjpblovesitaly and tbwhall. I was trying to find a reasonable hotel in the dupont circle area. The Dupont Hotel actually looks wonderful. But a little $$$$, I found a king room at the Normandy hotel for half the price of the Dupont. I am going to keep trying to find one closer to Dupont Circle area. The Normandy hotel actually has good reviews on here, so maybe I'm set. If I don't find something else closer.

I had not considered the Penn Quarter area, but now that you suggested it, it could be a good choice for us.

Thanks and happy travels to you both.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with locations

The Normandy is almost equidistant from the Dupont Circle Metro station (.7 mile) and the Metro station for Woodley Park/National Zoo/Adams Morgan (.6 mile). Unless mobility/stamina are concerns, you can easily walk to the more lively parts of Dupont Circle -- and to the restaurants clustered along Connecticut Ave. in the opposite direction by walking across the Taft Bridge that spans part of Rock Creek Park & also to the Adams Morgan neighborhood and its bars, etc.

I liked the Normandy and its smaller "European" feel. Rooms aren't large (my bathroom was generously proportioned), but nicely decorated, clean, bed was comfy. If you like coming back to more of an "oasis" environment after a long day out and about, the fact that it's in a residential neighborhood is another plus.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with locations

CockleCove: We enjoy the walking in the places we visit. Thanks for your description of the rooms too. Have you stayed in any other areas in DC.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with locations

I usually stay in the general vicinity of the Normandy, i.e., Dupont Circle, Kalorama, or Woodley Park. I've also stayed in Georgetown and elsewhere. But I can't give you a first-hand description of a stay in a Penn Quarter hotel. Nothing wrong with Penn Quarter, I've recommended it too. But I've yet to feel the call to stay in a hotel there myself.

8. Re: Help with locations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2010, 05:18