We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington after Dark Tour vs Monuments by Moonlight Tour

Monroe, New York
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
Washington after Dark Tour vs Monuments by Moonlight Tour

Hi everyone. Taking the family to DC on the extended Thanksgiving Weekend. We are planning to tour the monuments on Friday, 11/25th. We're very interested in seeing them at night. I have read some good testimonials on this forum re: the Trolley's Monuments by Moonlight tour but does anyone know about this other tour - Washington After Dark? I found it on a website called "Vacations Made Easy". They are a little bit more expensive than the trolley for practically the same thing. One big advantage the After Dark tour has is they take you around in a small bus, something like the shuttle buses they use from the airport, etc. These buses have heat and glass windows. The trolleys only have plastic on the windows and no heat. This could be a factor at night in late November. Anybody know firsthand how good this After Dark Tour is?

Also, I am bringing a difficult to please 15 year old boy, a difficult to please 14 year old girl, and a happy 10 year old boy (sounds like a blast, doesn't it?). Any suggestions to make them happy at night after all the educational stuff? Thanksgiving night will be taken up with dinner after an afternoon at the Holocost Museum. Friday night might be the nighttime monument tours otherwise that is open. Saturday afternoon I am trying to get tickets to the Hoyas' Basketball game at the MCI center, but Saturday night is open after an early dinner at The Oceannaire Restaurant. I was thinking of hanging out at Union Station, what do you all think? Is there anything else to do at night to please my varied group?

Thanks for your help.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,292 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington after Dark Tour vs Monuments by Moonlight Tour

I would NOT recommend hanging out at Union Station on a Saturday night with your kids. While it's perfectly fine during the day and late afternoon, nightime is a different story, as quite a few local teenagers hang out there. Nothing really "dangerous", but not much of a family atmosphere at all.

united states
Level Contributor
135 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington after Dark Tour vs Monuments by Moonlight Tour

Hi bshoplady - will also be travelling with two teenagers during the weekend......if you do not go on the night tours Friday, check out the Kennedy Center...Marvin Hamlish is conducting a salute to the silver screen with music from Star Wars, etc. Not sure if the night tours operate that time of year.

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington after Dark Tour vs Monuments by Moonlight Tour

grayline.com/franchise.cfm/…29

Check out Grayline Tours. We really enjoyed it and they take you to all the popular monuments. Full size comfy warm bus. They even drop off at some of the hotels.

Good luck.