We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appropriate clothing question

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Casa Grande, AZ.
Level Contributor
223 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Appropriate clothing question

My MIL is taking my son to your neck of the woods from March 13 - 19. We are from Arizona and I have no idea how to dress this kid for the weather! I realize nobody can predict what the weather will be like in 2 weeks, but could some of you give me an idea about what type of coat would be best? We don't really use winter coats here in Southern AZ, so I'm at a loss as to what type I should get him.

Also, would it be better to have a really good pair of athletic shoes or would something sturdier be better? I am trying to prepare for the event of snow since the rains here aren't stopping and it seems to drift over to the East Coast!

I appreciate any help here, don't want my kid to freeze to death! Thanks....

Terry

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Appropriate clothing question

It will probably be somewhere between the 40s and 60s that week--hard to tell this far out of course. Athletic shoes should probably be fine--while DC can always get some snow late in the season, it's less likely. Check the weather report closer to his departure date.

Re: a coat--something pretty warm! It's hard to say exactly what type of coat (not sure how old your son is), but something mid-weight should work. A lot of attractions are outside and visits to DC can involve a lot of walking.

Good general advice is to think layers--a T-shirt, a sweater, and a jacket, one or two of which can be removed inside, if it warms up, etc.

Hope they have a great trip.

Casa Grande, AZ.
Level Contributor
223 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Appropriate clothing question

Awesome. Thanks so much. I was thinking layers too. My son is 14 - my MIL takes her grandkids to DC when they promote from the 8th grade (he's promoting in May but my BIL is graduating from the Air Force then).

I was looking at some jackets that had 3 layers to them so that he could accomodate for the weather - if it's freezing cold, wear all 3 layers, etc.

I'm sure they'll have a blast. My daughter did and she's itching to go back! Thanks again for your advice, it's greatly appreciated.

Terry

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Appropriate clothing question

I suggest he wears a t-shirt, a sweatshirt (hoodie) and then a medium to light-weight jacket. Also some knit gloves. This getup will spare him (or MIL!) from toting around a thick parka when he goes indoors as he most certainly would get hot. The jacket can be tied around his waist, as well as the hoodie if he so needs. Gloves can be tucked in a pocket if not needed. Hoodie can serve as a hat if he is colder or wind blowing.

This will have him covered regardless what the weather throws at him. My boys have used this ensemble many times, and it works fine. I can't stand lugging coats around, and finding a place to check them can be a pain.

Casa Grande, AZ.
Level Contributor
223 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Appropriate clothing question

Thank you so much for the help. It is needed and will be used! That was my main hangup - do I buy a parka type jacket? Or will he be too cold if I DON'T?? Now, I have a plan thanks to you kind folks!

Thanks again for the ideas and suggestions. I don't feel so lost now!! :-)

Terry

5. Re: Appropriate clothing question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2010, 06:20