We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Hotwire" site hotel reservations - somebody tried this?

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
46 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
"Hotwire" site hotel reservations - somebody tried this?

Hello everybody,

going to DC and trying to get reasonably inexpensive hotel.

HOTWIRE site gives good prices but you go "blind", not knowing

hotel name. Somebody tried that? Is it working - or you get something you don't want enter into ? Share your experience,

please.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,159 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Hotwire" site hotel reservations - somebody tried this?

Take a look at this website:

www.betterbidding.com

Posters who use the bidding process find that site to be very helpful.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: "Hotwire" site hotel reservations - somebody tried this?

I got into the Four Points Sheraton in April for $89/night using Hotwire.

I thought that was a pretty good deal.

The key, for me, was to hold off on my other travel plans until I learned the hotel. Our decision to take the train (and leave our car home), came after confirming our hotel.

The other key was to look at the region I was booking in, and evaluate the density of metro stations. We don't mind walking, so anything in the "Capitol Hill" area (Hotwire's nomenclature), was satisfactory to us.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Hotwire" site hotel reservations - somebody tried this?

I have used Hotwire many times all over the place. From small towns just needing a no-frills room while traveling for kids' sports, to a family trip to London.

I have been happy every time and have always felt that I got a bargain and a nice hotel. I got into the Westin in Annapolis for $74 a night, where others in my party who went with the "discounted block" for our group still paid $129.

You DO have to be prepared to be flexible for what will be around you such as restaurants, etc.

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
191 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Hotwire" site hotel reservations - somebody tried this?

I used Hotwire for our upcoming trip to DC in April. We selected 4 1/2 star hotel in Dupont Circle area for $125/night. It turned out to be the Fairfax at Embassy Row. I think we got a GREAT deal!

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
439 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Hotwire" site hotel reservations - somebody tried this?

Another great site to learn about likelihood of hotels prior to bidding on Hotwire or Priceline is www.biddingfortravel.com

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
80 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Hotwire" site hotel reservations - somebody tried this?

We used Priceline instead

as others have suggested, there are two websites where people post successful bids for priceline/hotwire; I think prices are slighly lower on priceline

If you need to be close to a metro station, I think the following Priceline zones should be good (we only bid 4*, and ended up @ $60 for Alexandria - Old Town)

Convention Ctr - Capitol Hill area, Arlington, Crystal City, Dupont Circle - Woodley Park, Alexandria East - Old Town, White House - Downtown, Georgetown - Foggy Bottom

Raleigh, North...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: "Hotwire" site hotel reservations - somebody tried this?

I booked a 4 star for $153/night in the Capitol Hill area and it turned out to be a Hyatt Regency. VERY pleased with Hotwire!

Raleigh, North...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: "Hotwire" site hotel reservations - somebody tried this?

I booked a 4 star for $153/night in the Capitol Hill area and it turned out to be a Hyatt Regency. VERY pleased with Hotwire!

Brooklyn
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: "Hotwire" site hotel reservations - somebody tried this?

I just tried it and got the Hyatt Place in Chantilly for $50 a night -- GREAT DEAL! Look ffor the ammenity of Tennis and it is probably it - Good Luck!

Edited: 23 March 2010, 01:51
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,590 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Hotwire" site hotel reservations - somebody tried this?

Staying in Chantilly for a visit to DC is not a good thing. It is too far out of the city and you will have some serious traffic to deal with getting into DC on each and every workday. No Metro trains out that far. And only occasional bus service, which also has to negotiate the horrible traffic.