We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining near Union Station

Lutherville...
12 posts
Save Topic
Dining near Union Station

We will be visiting the Terra Cotta Warrior display at the National Geographic Museum next week. We plan to park our car at Union Station and take the Metro to the museum. Can anyone suggest a casual, good food spot for dinner in this area?

Thank you - Sandie

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining near Union Station

There are many restaurants and a food court in Union Station. None of them are outstanding. Since you are already taking the metro to Farragut North (I assume) for the exhibit, you might consider going to eat somewhere in Gallery Place/Chinatown (a stop between Union Station and Farragut North on the Red Line).

In that area, I really like Matchbox (www.matchboxdc.com), Jaleo (www.jaleo.com), Poste (www.postebrasserie.com), and District Chophouse (www.chophouse.com). There are a number of other very good restaurants, both sit down and counter style, in that area as well.

Enjoy!

dctravel

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining near Union Station

Hi Sandie,

I just visited the Terracotta Warriors recently and had dinner afterwords at Nandos--very tasty and casual spot only 2 blocks from the National Geographic Museum and just a short walk from Farragut North Metro.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
213 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining near Union Station

I agree with the previous poster that you should have dinner closer to the museum than to Union Station. Matchbox is a really good place. There are many other places right there. If you are set on heading back to Union Station, then I would suggest Capitol City Brewing Company (brew pub) or for something nicer, B. Smith's which is upscale southern cuisine.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
663 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining near Union Station

Matchbox, while almost always crowded, is consistently great - pizzas and sliders are their specialties. Be prepared to grab a drink at the bar while you wait for your table if you're going at primetime.

Beaufort, South...
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining near Union Station

I ditto the vote for Matchbox. Awesome pies and sliders. However, if you are leaning toward finding something near Union Station, I would suggest Art & Soul on New Jersey just several blocks away. If it is nice, you can dine outside on some pretty tasty and authentic Southern Food. Chef Art Smith is the man behind the place and although it got mixed reviews on TA, we had a thoroughly enjoyble lunch here. Shrimp n grits, fried chicken, but done in a more upscale manner.

Just stay away from anything inside the station unless you WANT a Big Mac and fries. The full serve restaurants there are barely average, surviving more on walk-ins than any reputation.

Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining near Union Station

I was checking out Matchbox website. That place looks good.

7. Re: Dining near Union Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2010, 05:18