We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Areas to stay

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Areas to stay

Hi,

I've been having a look at hotel rates for a trip during June. I'm looking to stay as close to the centre of washington as possible, however with my budget, I'm probably going to have to find a place on the outskirts.

I won't have a car, and will be using the metro/my feet to get around. I'll be by myself, and will be trying to see as much 'touristy' stuff as possible, and a nats game.

I'm looking at dupont circle/woodley park and georgetown/foggy bottom. Is there a preference/benefit in selecting one area over the other?

thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,101 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Areas to stay

Dupont Circle, Woodley Park, Georgetown are NOT the outskirts. Dupont Circle is still almost downtown. Georgetown doesn't have a Metro train, but it does have good bus service. All are good places to stay, though dealing with buses rather than the subway can sometimes be a problem. Virtually any hotel/area you see mentioned on this forum is fine, unless you also see a warning. There are dozens and dozens to choose from. If you give dates and a budget you will get more specific information.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
471 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Areas to stay

All of those neighborhoods are good locations. D.C is relatively small and the Metro is reliable. You could even stay in Rosslyn, VA if you are looking for better value and access to Metro.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Areas to stay

Hi,

Thanks for the replies! I'm staying 06/15- 06/20, and am looking to spend about $90-$100 per night.

Any suggestions?

cheers

United States
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Areas to stay

Are you bringing a car with you, and if so are you willing to pay the parking fee of about $20 (or more) on top of the $100.

Staying in Virginia will reduce your Hotel rate signifiantly, but you metro fare to get into the DC "attractions" area could be up to about $5 a day round trip.

Of course some of those hotels offer breakfast buffett included in the rate, so there is that to consider as well. If you load up on carbs and bacon in the morning, an afternoon snack might get you to dinner time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Areas to stay

Thanks for the response.

No car, just walking and public transport.

$5 a day is fine - I pay $10 a day to get to work on the train!

So I would be best off looking around Arlington area? I'm happy with staying out of the downtown area itself, so long as there is public transport nearby.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Areas to stay

"but you metro fare to get into the DC "attractions" area could be up to about $5 a day round trip."

$5 round trip, is a very low estimate. If you are out in VA it can be up to about $10 depending time of travel and how far out on the line you stay.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Areas to stay

hmm.. no problems, i'll see what i can find.

Roanoke, VA
Level Contributor
38 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Areas to stay

If you really want to experience DC, I would suggest staying in DC instead of Virginia. Dupont Circle would probably be your best bet as far as location and convenience. The metro is there, but buses and cabs are also available. (Cabs are abundant and reasonably priced...that's what I use when I visit the city.) I visit DC often so I feel l can really offer you some good advice. If you check online you can get some good room rates; however, you need to check often and I've found that the closer you get to your arrival time the cheaper the rates. They generally don't drop the rates until about a week in advance. I find the best rates at Hilton Embassy Row, Beacon Hotel and Best Western Georgetown, all of which are nice. Internet rates at these hotels range from $99.00 - $129.00 if you have time to really watch their websites. AAA rates are also available and may offer the best rate. Some additional hotels to watch...The Carlyle, Dupont Hotel, St Gregory, Hotel Madera...these are nice hotels as well and sometimes you can find good internet rates if you watch for them. (btw, the Hilton Embassy Row has a rooftop pool witch is an added bonus if your visiting during the summer.) Enjoy!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Areas to stay

Thanks for your help VA - will keep an eye on these rates!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
471 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Areas to stay

We were referring to Arlington not Fairfax. My roundtrip fare from Courthouse to Union Square is $4.50. Nowhere close to $10.00.