We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flights from Washington DC to JFK

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
flights from Washington DC to JFK

Hi - we are flying in and out of JFK and would like to take a detour to Washington DC. Will take the train down to Washington DC (which the kids will love!!) and then thinking of flying out of DCA to JFK and then getting our original flight from JFK to Los Angeles. My question is this - which airline should we use for DCA to JFK to better our chances of making our other flight - we will have a layover time of 4 1/2 hours in JFK. Is that enough??? Thanks for all your help. Michelle

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,090 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flights from Washington DC to JFK

Maybe it's early in the morning here and I haven't had that first cup of coffee--but I'm just not following why you already have a scheduled layover or how a trip to Washington would figure into this layover.

You have a layover of 4.5 hours in JFK--I take that to mean you're scheduled to arrive at JFK at a specific time (let's say 12 noon for argument's sake) and then flyi out of JFK 4.5 hours later (4:30 p.m.).

Are you looking to do something during that window of time other than just sitting in the airport terminal? With security requirements and JFK's location, that really isn't enough time to leave the airport to go out and see anything in New York City, let alone further.

Or maybe the simple answer is to say that there are lots of daily flights from DCA to JFK on Delta and American Airlines, between the two of them there's about one every 90 minutes-2 hours on average for the one-hour flight..

Or am I just not getting it?

Edited: 27 April 2010, 12:02
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flights from Washington DC to JFK

Yeah, I too need coffee...maybe...

I am reading your post to ask if a 4.5 hour layover is enough time to take a train to DC and then get a quick flight back to JFK from DCA in enough time to make your already scheduled flight.

If that is the case-no way!

If we are missing the point of your question, can you clarify please?

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flights from Washington DC to JFK

Hi - sorry if I have not explained myself well (have a tendency to ramble on a bit!). We booked our flights in and out of JFK with a travel agent in Australia - arrive JFK 29th Aug and fly out again 5th Sept (at 11.30am). In that week we would like to go to Washington DC for 2 nights (3rd + 4th Sept) and was wondering if we could fly DCA to JFK on the 5th Sept and then go on to catch our other flight to LAX. I have seen some flights online with Orbitz which leave DCA at 6am and arrive JFK at 7.05 (AA/Delta) and I was wondering if 4 1/2 hours would be enough time allowed to exit one plane and catch the other and if some airlines are better than others. Hope that makes sense ?!?

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flights from Washington DC to JFK

Obviously I got the term layover wrong....sorry :)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,090 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flights from Washington DC to JFK

4.5 hours is plenty. Arriving at the airport two hours before your flight is what's generally recommended. You're giving yourself an extra 2.5 hours of leeway to account for a late flight, luggage transfer, possible additional requirements for international travel, and dealing with the sheer size of JFK. You will have no problem.

If it were later in the day and you could squeeze in an extra hour of touring in DC, I'd say consider taking a later flight. But early in the morning, there's not much for you to do with that extra hour in DC, so you're really not giving up anything (other than an extra hour of sleep) by creating such a big window of time for this layover.

suburban DC
Level Contributor
180 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flights from Washington DC to JFK

I would suggest going back to NY late the night before rather than early the next morning. The schedule you propose will certainly work, but that is assuming there are not any unforeseen problems with your flight. And because the DC-NY flight is unrelated to your flight leaving JFK, if you miss that flight due to a problem with the DC-NY flight (which could be weather, equipment issues, any number of things) you will just be out of luck - the airline will be under no obligation to give you any kind of priority for rebooking. If you're staying in hotels anyway, you really won't lose anything by going back to NY the night before.

Another option would be looking into changing your flight to LAX or even all the way home so that you depart from DCA or IAD (Dulles). You would have to pay a change fee, but it will probably be less than the fare for getting back to JFK, and be one less flight to take. FYI Dulles is @ 35 min. outside of DC, but you can get a "Super Shuttle" van from DC to Dulles for $39/first person + $10/each addt'l person.

Re: leaving from JFK, a key point is where you will do your international check-in - if your flight was booked as from JFK to Australia, you will probably do that at JFK for your return. I'm not sure if this is the case in other countries, so I apologize if I am stating the obvious to you, but when flying abroad from the US you typically do your international check-in at the departure airport, even if you are stopping at another US city before actually leaving the country.

This will not likely impact your schedule much, just realize that you won't be able to do an online check-in & need to take that into account.

DC
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: flights from Washington DC to JFK

Early morning departures from DCA are pretty reliable, so you're unlikely to get delayed by much if anything. Your main problem is going to be killing time at JFK.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flights from Washington DC to JFK

Thank you - I have both sides of the argument there !! We will be traveling JFK to LAX where we will still have a few weeks of holidays left so in essence it will be a domestic flight. I have tried to change the JFK/LAX flight but it will cost us $350 AUD per ticket (x 5) so not an option! I guess the argument here is do we want to take the chance on all being well leaving DCA and making our connecting flight. If we go this way which Airline is better AA or Delta and if we choose option B (leave night before) are there any hotels near JFK airport? thank you - I really appreciate your opinion in this decision....

DC
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: flights from Washington DC to JFK

DCA is small and it's not a 24 hour airport. A 6 am flight would be one of the first flights of the day. There won't be lines for check in or security nor will there be a wait for the runway. If there's a plane for your flight, you'll get out on time and land early.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,467 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flights from Washington DC to JFK

Hi, your question assumes there are multiple choices for a 6 am flight from DCA to JFK. While I have no experience in taking that route that early, a quick check on Expedia shows there is only one AA non-stop flight at 6 am, then a Delta non-stop flight later at 6:30 am. Naturally, 6 am flight will give you a half an hour advantage.

Personally, I would rather go to New York the night before and stay at a hotel close to JFK. Putting aside the very small risk of not making the connection, the thought of getting up at 3 or 4 am for a 6 am flight does not excite me, especially followed by 4 hour of total boredom at JFK.

If you stay near JFK, you can get up later and enjoy a full breakfast before taking the hotel shuttle to the airport.