We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 hour layover

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
4 hour layover

We have a four hour layover in May on a domestic flight. We'll have a five year old and are looking for suggestions. I'm assuming we don't have enough time to leave the airport, is there anything interesting in the airport, or at least a good sit down restaurant? Any suggestions appreciated!

DC
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 hour layover

Which airport?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 hour layover

Whichever airport is it, it has a website which probably has pages listing services, restaurants, etc.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 hour layover

Sorry, Dulles. Looking for firsthand suggestions as to what's GOOD, not just what's available...Thanks.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 hour layover

The air and space annex is next to the airport. Not sure how easy it is to get there but could be worth a quick trip.

Sorry, no first hand suggestions for good food. I see there are a couple of Pot Belly sandwiches. I have been to others and think they make a good lunch. Won't be as upscale as the pub type places in the airport.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 hour layover

Four hours doesn't give you enough time to get to the Air & Space Annex, meaningfully see much of anything, get back to the airport, and get back through security. So you'll be confined to options on the secure side of the airport.

For entertaining your 5 year old, I'd suggest both the new underground subway (the Aerotrain -- get a seat in the first or last car and your kid can look out into the tunnel), and the original above ground people mover buses (you can ride back and forth between A and D gates), from which you can see lots of the airplanes around the airport.

You can find a shopping and dining map for the airport here: http://www.metwashairports.com/dulles/736.htm For sit down food, I think your best options are Harry's Tap Room in B terminal or Gordon Biersch in D terminal (try the BBQ Marzen burger). Five Guys in B terminal also offers excellent fast food burgers and fries.

In my view the nicest terminal overall to kill time in is B terminal. it is newest with high ceilings and lots of glass to look out at the planes going by. It isn't a bad place to kill four hours.

suburban DC
Level Contributor
180 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 hour layover

It depends on what terminal you are in for food. They're mostly chain restuarants, though a local chain that makes to *die* for burgers & fries is Five Guys, a local favorite (and elevated a bit by Obama's late night runs to his local Five Guys). Not sure about getting a ride back to the airport from the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space museum - that would require a bit of looking - but you certainly could have time to spend some time there. It is 15 min away, and with free admission it would be easy to justify going for an hour or hour and a half and have time to get back to the airport and go back through security. You could grab a cab there, and then get one back, but again I'd check what your options are. The cabbie that takes you will prob. be able to give you his card and will prob. be very happy to come get you and be assured of your fare from so close to the airport. Good luck!

7. Re: 4 hour layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2010, 04:18