We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Art Museum & Portrait Gallery - is there connection

Level Contributor
1,440 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
American Art Museum & Portrait Gallery - is there connection

We plan on visiting both these museums. I know they are located in the same building.

Can you walk between the two museums on each floor OR are the museums totally separate?

Thanks!

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: American Art Museum & Portrait Gallery - is there connection

They are together on each floor. Half is one, the other half is the other. I didn't realize that there were two museums there the first time and was confused why so many nonportraits were in the Portrait Gallery. I love that museum

Edited: 13 May 2010, 15:20
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Art Museum & Portrait Gallery - is there connection

Thanks for the quick response.

I think I understand your response....in other words, if I'm on the 3rd floor, I can walk from the Portrait Gallery to the American Art Museum, right? (I'm attempting to pack as much as possible into my DC stay and just thought this would make it more convenient - vs leaving one museum to enter the other on the other side of building.)

One more question - did you eat at the cafe at museum? Any opinion?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: American Art Museum & Portrait Gallery - is there connection

Yes, you just walk from one to the other.

Here is the floor plan.

gosmithsonian.com/maps/floorplan-national-po…

The orange is the AA museum and the purple is the P gallery

I've never eaten at the cafe.

Level Contributor
1,440 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Art Museum & Portrait Gallery - is there connection

VJP - again, thanks so much for the quick response. I also love these two museums. I was there last about 15 years ago and just can't remember all the specifics. I "think" they've been completely renovated since my last visit and am not sure how much has changed....I'm really looking forward to seeing them again!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,092 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Art Museum & Portrait Gallery - is there connection

The two museums in the old Patent Office are very different than what they were like 15 years ago. They were closed for several years for a big renovation. The lines between the two are now less obvious. But they are better museums than ever. I was told if the name at the top of the label is the person in the picture, it is the Portrait Gallery. If the name is the artist, then it is the American Art Museum.

Edited: 13 May 2010, 16:53
6. Re: American Art Museum & Portrait Gallery - is there connection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2010, 06:20