We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appropriate Dress for Nicer Type Restaurant? Jeans?

Level Contributor
1,441 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Appropriate Dress for Nicer Type Restaurant? Jeans?

We are visiting DC as tourists, seeing museums and other attractions. I plan on wearing jeans during the day. We'd like to have dinner at nice restaurant, hopefully stopping in on way back from attractions to hotel.

Will my jeans be acceptable for early evening dress at nicer restaurants? In best of worlds, I'd go back to hotel and change, but I really don't want to back track - I'm trying to make best use of time!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Appropriate Dress for Nicer Type Restaurant? Jeans?

You don't mention when you'll be here, but I'm assuming during the summer? Keep in mind it can be pretty sweltering during July and August especially, so if your visit fits in that timeframe, you might want to wear something lighter than jeans. If you are planning to wear jeans throughout a visit in July/August, I would worry less about going to dinner in jeans than going to dinner sweaty and smelly.

Generally, though, there aren't too many restaurants in DC where I'd say you couldn't get away with nice jeans and a nice top--i.e. there are very few restaurants that would actively turn you away. But I do think you would feel underdressed in some nicer restaurants in jeans and a nice top, and you'd certainly feel underdressed in jeans and a T-shirt in many nicer restaurants.

Level Contributor
1,441 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Appropriate Dress for Nicer Type Restaurant? Jeans?

tbwhall - I should have mentioned when we are visiting....we actually are leaving tomorrow and will be in town for 5 days. Thanks for your response.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Appropriate Dress for Nicer Type Restaurant? Jeans?

Looks like you'll have nice, mild weather and jeans will be great for touring. If you just wear something a little dressier on top, you'll be fine at 90%+ of DC restaurants.

Have a great trip!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,926 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Appropriate Dress for Nicer Type Restaurant? Jeans?

Id be more comfortable answering if I knew what the restaurants were. There are plenty of places where you won't be out of place in jeans...and probably more than a few where you would be. Do you have any specific places in mind?

Level Contributor
1,441 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Appropriate Dress for Nicer Type Restaurant? Jeans?

I was thinking of Central, Jaleo, Oyamel, The Source.

And, of course, I'm open to any suggestions! I'm attempting to find places close to the mall and other museums.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Appropriate Dress for Nicer Type Restaurant? Jeans?

Jaleo: yes, jeans are okay

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Appropriate Dress for Nicer Type Restaurant? Jeans?

If you go to the virtual tour at http://www.jaleo.com/# (bottom right for DC Jaleo) you can see what some of the customers are wearing.

Jaleo has a good happy hour. The bar at the DC Jaleo is small and gets filled pretty quickly.

I like their patatas bravas and Endibias con queso de cabra y naranjas

(Endives with goat cheese, oranges and almonds)

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
62 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Appropriate Dress for Nicer Type Restaurant? Jeans?

Central is ok to wear jeans. Some people dress up a little, but when I went, I saw a decent amount of people wearing jeans. Just don't wear raggedy clothes.

Btw, their fried chicken is good, if you are looking for suggestions on what to eat.

Jaleo is casual, don't have to dress up. Don't know about the other restaurants you listed.

9. Re: Appropriate Dress for Nicer Type Restaurant? Jeans?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2010, 05:39