We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic evening

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic evening

Hi fellow TAs,

I have a big wedding anniversary coming up, and I'd like to do something really special for my wife. Here's the difficulty: work is crazy for me at the moment, and I can't get away for more than a single night, and even then I need to be on-call. That rules out flying somewhere. Because of child care issues, the night also has to be a Saturday, which makes prime locations potentially booked. Places I've considered that aren't viable options for the dates I'm looking at:

Inn at Little Washington

Inn at Perry Cabin (St. Michaels)

In an old thread someone recommended Mandarin Oriental and dinner at City Zen, and right now that's probably at the top of my list. Before I book, though, what places within a two hour drive am I forgetting? I want an exceptional room, gourmet dinner, and relaxing atmosphere. Price isn't a concern.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you all have!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,729 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic evening

I have never stayed there, so I could be mistaken, but the Morrison House in Old Town Alexandria always struck me as pretty romantic. And delicious. Not as big as the Mandarin Oriental with it's convention activity. http://www.morrisonhouse.com/

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic evening

I highly recommend L'Auberge Provencale in White Post, VA. It's a country inn with fantastic food - our favorite restaurant in the area, and our favorite nearby get-away spot. It is very nice and quite romantic. It's about an hour outside the Beltway. (Shorter if you use 66, but we prefer to take 50 through Middleburg for the country-side get-away feeling.) We like to poke around the shops in Middleburg on our way there, visit nearby wineries, or just sit on their porch with a book and a glas of wine.

Edited: 24 May 2010, 23:26
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic evening

We had a terrific in-town mini-getaway at the Mandarin Oriental and Morrison House intrigues me. But since it sounds like you'd prefer something less urban, I'll second L'Auberge Provencale! We liked it so much better than either the Inn at Little Washington or the Inn at Perry Cabin.

Another place we've considered but not yet been to: Lake Pointe Inn in McHenry, MD:

http://www.deepcreekinns.com

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g41261-d77518-R…

4. Re: Romantic evening

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2010, 05:17