We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weekend traffic through DC & Richmond

WenWillitB
Level Contributor
151 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
weekend traffic through DC & Richmond

I'm driving to Florida & was wondering how bad the traffic is on a Saturday morning b/n 830-930.

Washington DC All-Loops Hop-On...
35 reviews
from US$49.00*
International Spy Museum
197 reviews
from US$21.95*
Smithsonian National Air and Space...
3 reviews
from US$115.00*
Va
Level Contributor
11,043 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weekend traffic through DC & Richmond

I was south on 95 this past saturday morning and traffic was brutal. It stopped about Dale City and I thought it would just be bad until we got past the HOV merge, but I was wrong. It was bumper to bumper stop and go (mostly stop) all the way to around the AP Hill exit. Then it stopped again near the 95/295 Richmond split. What normally takes 1hr took about 2.5. It was not fun.

I thought saturday would be better since everyone would leave on Friday. I guess I was wrong.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: weekend traffic through DC & Richmond

The beginning of a extended holiday weekend is always the worst, same here in Belgium.

What I did my last stay in VA, was change my gps to no highways. And believe me I got there just as fast (probably faster since I-95 N was stuck) then using the highway.

Of course if you have a long ride ahead of you, staying on the highway may be a better option.

WenWillitB
Level Contributor
151 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weekend traffic through DC & Richmond

Sun could you suggest a route for me to bypass it. I'll be leaving on a regular weekend not a holiday weekend. I've seen some suggestions but not really clear since I'm not from the area or they just weren't specific or just direct me to where I could get a better description.

I used to google maps & moved the route outline around to some other roads but I don't know what they are or if it's something I should do.

Va
Level Contributor
11,043 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weekend traffic through DC & Richmond

I think if you can be south of woodbridge by 8am, you should be ok or in better shape before traffic builds. The only real option is to get off on Rt 1. Then you are red light to red light which really isn't any better. You might expect to hit traffice around dumfries where HOV ends because you basically have 6 lanes merging to 4. Other than volume which I encountered this past weekend, you really shouldn't be slowed. The other place you will get slowed is south of richmond where the by pass comes back to 95. There you have 6 lanes that go to two. Once you get past there barring any accidents you should be moving with the occasional slow down near the cities along the way until you get to around Savannah which you should be near around 4-5pm. Then you will be ok until you get to Jacksonville.

I have made that drive more times than I like to admit. Remember gas is the cheapest around Fredricksburg in VA, in SC south of florence, and in ga south of Savannah. NC is expensive for the most part.

WenWillitB
Level Contributor
151 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weekend traffic through DC & Richmond

Wow thanks for the gas info that's always helpful.

And so you're saying to basically drive down I-95 & don't try to make alt routes?

Va
Level Contributor
11,043 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weekend traffic through DC & Richmond

I wouldn't try any alt routes. You are also better off taking 295 around Richmond. It is a couple miles shorter than going through the city and typically less traffic. Also, don't stop at South of the border unless you absolutely have to. It is tacky and there is nothing there, and what is there is expensive.

WenWillitB
Level Contributor
151 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weekend traffic through DC & Richmond

Sorry, another question... since you've made this trip many times maybe you can help with one more dilemma. I was originally planning to drive straight through but plans have changed.

I was thinking of stopping in Jacksonville Fl. I know there are places off 95 to stay for cheap but I just want to make sure there are stops off the interstate when I get to this area.

Edited: 06 June 2010, 05:37
8. Re: weekend traffic through DC & Richmond

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2010, 05:16