We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

baseball seating

canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
baseball seating

I need help with choosing seating for a Nationals game. I was looking at either the dugout box or infield box sections. Looking at the seating chart I wondered about the infield club or 1st/3rd base club sections. Any suggestions from baseball fans?

Mentioned in this post
Nationals Park
Nationals Park
1,387 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: baseball seating

…mlb.com/was/ticketing/seats_3d.jsp

What is it you are wondering?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: baseball seating

There are no distinctions between the dugout box and infield box sections other than proximity to the field. Dugout box runs from Row D in most sections (the Dugout is where Rows A-C would be) through Row X, so about 15 rows (they omit some letters). Infield Box picks up with Row Y, and runs through VV in most sections, so about 25 rows. Obviously a seat in Row Y of the Infield Box is "better" than a seat in Row X of the Dugout Box, because it is only a row further back but cost $10 to $12 less.

Other than that, 3rd base side will be in shade for most games; 1st base side may get sun for afternoon games. The visitor's dugout is on the 3rd base side, and home dugout is on the 1st base side. None of the dugout / infield box seats come with club access.

The infield / 1st base / 3rd base clubs are on the second floor of the stadium, and hang out over the back rows of the infield box sections. This means the view is both higher and further back than from the infield box seats, but still very nice. Your ticket also gains you admission to an airconditioned club behind the seats, where they have televisions and couches, as well as several bars, from which you can watch the game. The food isn't much better than what can be found outside the club, and you still have to pay for it (some of the other clubs include food credits; this club does NOT).

In my personal estimation, the club seats are a better value / game experience than the infield box seats, as having access to the airconditioning is a really nice perk through most of the summer. Also in my personal estimation, seats on the 3rd base side are better than on the 1st base side, because they give you a direct view of the jumbotron without having to turn your head off to the right.

Hope that all helps.

canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: baseball seating

Thanks so much, Warthog. The detail is great and definitely helps with my decision. Am I correct in saying that the clubhouse seats are outside but you can choose to go inside if it's too hot? I like watching from outside in the fresh air but access to air conditioning would be nice. It will be an evening game in early July - will it be really hot after 7:00 p.m.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,053 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: baseball seating

You can't necessarily count on your game being an evening game. Just this weekend, we discovered that the game scheduled for Saturday evening had been moved to 4:05 pm to allow the game to be televised. (And yes, we discovered that on the way to the game at 6pm!) As a result, I checked all of the tickets we have for July and August games and found out that the time for the game on Saturday, July 3rd has also been moved up. So, if you have tickets for an evening game, keep checking the Nationals website regularly to see if there has been a change in time.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: baseball seating

The 1st base / 3rd base / infield club seats are in fact outside, although they're under an overhang. At the back of each section is a glass door into the air-conditioned club area, giving you the option of being inside or outside.

There is some standing room viewing space inside that lets you watch the game outside through the glass, and also a few chairs by the windows, but most of the interior seating is away from the windows and requires you to watch the game on the TV, rather than letting you watch directly outside.

canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: baseball seating

Warthog, Thanks for clarifying the seating.

Great advice from longhorn - I will confirm the game time!

This whole trip is going to be so exciting!!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: baseball seating

For what it's worth -- the game on July 3 appears to have been moved to accommodate national TV coverage. And, from the rotation, appears to be a game Strasburg will pitch. According to today's sports news, Strasburg also may pitch for the final time before the all-star break on July 8 or 9 (both during the week so game times won't be changed).

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: baseball seating

From a big Nats fan..... Warthog and Longhorn (sounds like a cartoon...LOL) they give GREAT advice. Go for the third base side as the JumboTron is HUGE and a pain to see from the first base side.

canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: baseball seating

Will we be able to see the JumboTron well from the infield club section if we get seats towards the 3rd base end?

Will it be so hot at an evening game that we might want air conditioning occasionally or would we be fine with the infield box?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: baseball seating

You'll see the jumbotron fine from anywhere in the club sections. The view will be most direct / comfortable from anywhere between directly behind home plate and the end of the 3rd base club sections.

Yes, it can get really hot / humid on any evening in D.C. between now and early September. July and August are particularly sticky. Tonight's game (which we attended -- we have partial season tickets) was terribly muggy (I'd guess it was in the upper 80's for both temperature and humidity), but a massive thunderstorm rolled through and cooled things off.

That's another point worth considering -- rain delays for thunderstorms are not rare in July and August. Being able to wait them out sitting in the club, as opposed to standing on the main concourse, would be more pleasant if you should get unlucky with the weather.