We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Food That Is Bad For You ..

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Good Food That Is Bad For You ..

I would love to get a list of place in DC that have the tastiest, unhealthiest food around. Greasy, Fatty, Sugary, Buttery, etc ....

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Food That Is Bad For You ..

Ha! Great topic.

LOTS of burger joints--DC is on the cutting edge of the nationwide gourmet burger trend. Check out Good Stuff Eatery, Ray's Hell Burger, and local chain Five Guys.

Also a lot of cupcake places--Georgetown Cupcake, Red Velvet, and Baked & Wired are among the local favorites.

Also lots of good pizza: Two Amys, Pizza Paradiso, Matchbox.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Food That Is Bad For You ..

Great suggestions above. I'd add to it Ben's Chili Bowl - a DC institution w/great food! http://www.benschilibowl.com

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Food That Is Bad For You ..

You should get on Yelp.com and search DC area for what ever type of foods you're looking for. It's a website for customer reviews, webforums, etc. You can do key word searches and you may find lists created by other users in the area concerning just what you're looking for. I get on there any time I'm looking for new places to eat or things to do in the area. You get a great selection of reviews from many different people and can get a good idea of what a place is like. The users on there are really active with their reviews. Good luck!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Food That Is Bad For You ..

Hello Cupcake www.hellocupcakeonline.com

Old Glory All American BBQ www.oldglorybbq.com

How about some spots that serve "comfort food"?

Like Martin's Tavern www.martins-tavern.com

Not only do they serve old-time comfort food but it is historical. Every sitting president from Truman to G.W. Bush dined there. Plus JFK proposed to Jackie at Martin's Tavern.

A bit pricier but very well regarded:

Georgia Brown's www.georgiabrowns.com

They serve southern-style comfort food.

I also second the recommendation of searching Yelp:

www.yelp.com

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
471 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Food That Is Bad For You ..

I'm going to have to seriously disagree with the pizza recommendation. DC has by far the worst pizza of all the northeast cities. Anyone from north of DC with be terribly disappointed in the pizza.

The cupcake shops are also vastly overrated. $3 for a cup cake that is drier and less tasty than what my nieces can whip together. Don't be suckered by the lines, the cupcake shops are just plain bad.

The burger shops are decent, but again, probably aren't worth the lines. Ray's Hell Burger seems to be a love it or hate it place. Half of the people I've talked to said they absolutely don't like the Hell Burgers. Five Guys is good but more of a fast food chain burger. East Coast equivalent of Fat Burger.

If you really want to experience good unhealthy food I'd try the Vietnamese and Pakistani/Indian/Middle Eastern hole-in-the-wall joints. You can find them on Yelp and they truely are done well.

Don't believe the hype about the pizzza, cupcakes, or burgers.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Food That Is Bad For You ..

I think Johnny12 is in the minority on the pizza, cupcakes, and burger places I mentioned. But check out Yelp for yourself and see the consensus view:

www.yelp.com/biz/rays-hell-burger-arlington-2

www.yelp.com/biz/good-stuff-eatery-washington

http://www.yelp.com/biz/2-amys-washington

www.yelp.com/biz/pizzeria-paradiso-washington

yelp.com/biz/matchbox-chinatown-washington

www.yelp.com/biz/baked-and-wired-washington

yelp.com/biz/georgetown-cupcake-washington

I've eaten pizza all over the US and find the three I mentioned compete with the best. But your mileage may vary.

Happy eating!

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Food That Is Bad For You ..

Yeah, I have to speak up and agree with tbwhall about the pizza and burgers (I haven't tried very many cupcake places). Not everyone thinks that New York/New Haven style pizza is the best. 2 Amy's and Matchbox have seriously good pizza (I haven't been to Paradiso in a few years so I can't comment). Same for the burger places, especially Ray's Hell Burger. I've never heard anyone say they didn't love their burgers, even with the long lines. Another place I'd add to the mix is BGR.

yfunk3
Level Contributor
470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Food That Is Bad For You ..

Well, with Ray's Hellburger, it depends on if you like your burger well done or medium/medium rare (which is what is recommended by the Ray's staff).

I prefer well done burgers, so I prefer Five Guys since theirs is always done that way, no exceptions. But those who prefer medium/medium rare rave about Ray's Hellburger. It was good, but not great for me, personally.

It's all about personal preference, but I do agree that you should go to Yelp and search for the types of food you want for the best-rated places, just so you can have a list to whittle down and decide.

Sandy, Utah
Level Contributor
28 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Food That Is Bad For You ..

We just ate at Tortilla Coast near the Capitol South Metro stop this last weekend. If quesadillas and fajitas are your thing it's great and you can put on lots of sour cream if you need to make it extra unhealthy :)

If you're in suburbia I think Foster's Grille is a far better burger than 5 Guys (which isn't bad, I just like Foster's better). Also I recently ate at the Bear Country Restaurant in Shirlington and thought their french fries were fantastic.

10. Re: Good Food That Is Bad For You ..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2011, 05:18