We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from D.C.

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
710 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from D.C.

Hi - Just want to thank every one for their help for our 3 day trip with our family of four. Thursday we went to a Phillies game and after the game stayed in the Country Inn and Suites at BWI. Nice hotel with comfortable beds. Our 13 year old did not like the free breakfast and in my opinion not the best but ok. I would stay there again but not for the breakfast. Staff was nice and did not hear any noise from other rooms. Friday morning headed to D.C. Checked into Embassy Suites Convention Center around 1:00 with no problem getting in early. Check in process easy and girl very friendly. Once checked in headed on foot to the American History and Natural History museum. Enjoyed both but our 9 year old daughter especially liked the dresses (gowns) worn by the presidents wifes. After that headed on to see the monuments. We hit the Washington Monument ( just viewed did not go up), Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, Korean Memorial. Our 13 year old was very touched by the wall of the Vietman Memorial. We saw people sitting and one man sobbing as we passed. Did not think this would be that emotional. Our 9 year old daughter just went with the flow and really did not get "it" but that is probably better. We did explain as best we could on her level but I think she is just a bit too young yet to fully understand which is fine. It was hot but not as humid as it has been. We stopped for a while and stuck our feet in the water (not sure you are suppose to but everyone there was doing this) . When we got to the Lincoln Memorial I was surprised how big it was. After we hit the memorial headed back to the hotel as our feet were done for the day. We wanted to see the monuments at night but were so tired and told the kids we will do this next time. Took a rest at the hotel and then headed to China Town to Match Box. Was told 1 hour wait so took a stroll around the block. I think we only waited about half an hour before our buzzer went off. Pizza was great and the kids really liked it as we did too. Would definitely go back. Went back to hotel and went to bed. Next morning went to breakfast downstairs at the hotel - very good. First stop was Air and Space Museum. Our 13 year old really liked this. We did not see everything as was very crowded but did see most of it. Our son wanted to see the 3D hubble movie but did not have enough time. We will come back and see that next time. Our 9 year old also liked this museum too. Our next stop was the Capital Building which was very neat fromt the outside and then onto the White House also viewed from outside. By the way, we are now using the Metro as our feet are very tired. Our family went to Disney in January and did not do as much walking as we did in D.C. - Wow - lots and lots of walking even with the metro and we are a family that is very active. Ok - after the white house went back to hotel to rest a bit and then son and husband off to the Phillies vs National game. They had a great time even though the Phillies lost in the 9th inning - but yes they came back to win the game on Sunday as we listened on the radio for our 3 hour trip home that turned into 5 hours with traffic. My daughter and I walked into China Town for dinner while the boys were at the game. We ended up at a restaurant near Gallery Place which I can not remember the name. It was ok but the waiter was terrible. Not friendly at all, had an attitude. Not sure if that was because it was just myself and daughter. It was buy one adult meal and get kids meal free. Food was ok but would not go back again. I will post later with the name just can not remember right now. After that headed back to hotel and watched tv. I put my daughter to bed around 9:30 as she was tired from the walking. We then got neighbors in our hotel room with kids that were very very very loud. I am a pretty patient person but they were very rude. I finally banged on the wall around 10:00 as it was keeping up my daughter. I know these rooms have limits on people but It sounded like at least 3 or 4 kids in that room. Anyway at 11:30 it was still really loud and by this time my son and husband were home. I finally gave one more last bang before I called the front desk. I was just about to pick up the phone and they finally quited down. I usually do not do this but it was really loud. I probably should have complained but am not that kind of person. The next morning we had breakfast, checked out and had our luggage stored and then headed to the Old Post office Tower. That was pretty neat and the kids enjoyed themselves. We then sat down in the food area had ice cream, smoothies and cookies. Headed back to the hotel, checked out and then home. Overall, we had a great trip. We did alot more then what we thought we would accomplish. On our next trip the kids want to do the Spy Museum, Newsuem and Arlington Cememtery along with many other things. This was a great mini vacation and look forward to doing it again soon. Thanks for all the great advice and help.

1. Re: Just back from D.C.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2011, 07:32