We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

updated plans vet to see vietnam wall

Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Topic
updated plans vet to see vietnam wall

THANK YOU everyone for your very helpful advice.My son gave his dad a certificate he printed on the computer stating that he is taking him to see the VIETNAM WALL in may. My husband cried. He has wanted to go for so long. He spent 13 mons in the jungles of Vietnam in 1970. He lost several friends there and wants to find thier names on the wall. They have decided they want to go memorial weekend instead of early may. Is it best for them to arrive friday and leave tuesday morning. they want to spend Memorial day there, But they really wanted to spend only 3 nights. i am afraid that if they dont arrive until saturday and leave Tuesday morning, that many things will be closed on the weekend. Does anyone know if this will be the case? Also, will the memorial ceremonies. Will they be performed on Monday as it is the observed Memorial day. Or will they perform ceremonies on other days?

They are particularly interested in anything involving the Vietnam Wall.

I assume it will be much more crowded going Memorial weekend than if they were to go in early may. And words of advice are so appreciated. My husband is so excited. My next step besides trying to set this trip up for them is to put together an itinerary day by day. As they are used to be being on trips with them and planning each day.

Also m husband wants to find patches that represent his unit to put on his jacket. To wear to the wall. He is so emotional about this trip. My son couldnt have given his father a better gift.

Thank you all so much and please send any tips you can. I read them all.

:) :) :)

maryland
Level Contributor
289 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: updated plans vet to see vietnam wall

What a great opportunity! Very touching gift (proud of your son)

I can not speak to many of your questions, but wanted to reassure you that coming during a holiday weekend will not affect 'things being closed'. I am assuming the 'things' are the smithsonian museums, national monuments, etc. They are all open during weekends and most holidays (Christmas being the exception). As a matter of fact, the weekend may be better since office buildings will be closed.

best of luck planning! You didn't mention if you get to come with them??

united states
Level Contributor
135 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: updated plans vet to see vietnam wall

Hi michigander2:

Went to the Wall this past November. Before going, I went to www.thewall-usa.com to research the location of a name for a friend. The website is easy to use and quickly gave me the location. It will give you the panel number and then state if it is on the west facing or east facing panel and then what line number the name is on. I recall the east facing panels line up with the Wasington Monument. The line count starts from the top. The panel number are indicated on the panels, but it does not state if it is east or west. If you are looking up several names you may want to organize them by panel number and east and west locations.

I went at night because it was our only available time and I was disappointed because it is poorly lit and there were no helpers giving out paper and pencils for tracings (I was told that volunteers would be there for that sort of thing) so you may want to come prepared on your own with paper and pencil if you want rubbings. There are a few books at the site with name location information but they were missing pages and were worn so I was glad I looked up all the info beforehand.

There were three vendors selling vietnam related badges, pins and such and they appeared to have a large variety. Perhaps your husband might be able to find some of his items there as well.

It was very tranquil at night but I would have liked to have seen it during the day. The Korean monument is just nearby and that was a very well done monument as well. If your husband goes at night, the Lincoln memorial is a must see because if there is any moonlight, you will see the reflection of the Washington Monument in the tidal pool.....it is breathtaking.

Enjoy the memorial and remember to bring your own paper and pencil for the rubbings. I tried to take a photo at night, but the flash only reflected off the dark shiny surface of the monument. Make certain you catch this monument during the day.

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln Memorial
Lincoln Memorial
26,259 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington Monument
Washington Monument
8,082 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
869 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: updated plans vet to see vietnam wall

Memorial Day will be very crowded and even more emotional than a "normal" weekend. The Wall is decorated with gifts, photos, memories, ribbons and medals...all from visitors still dealing with their losses.

Everything will be open that weekend. The truly odd thing about it is that rain is almost guaranteed sometime that weekend. It happens nearly every year. This adds even more emotion to the Wall.

Google "Vietnam wall" under images to get an understanding of the beauty and the reflective nature of these giant blocks of polished granite. It is this reflective aspect that is the final genius in this monument; it forces us to see. Night-time photos must be taken at an angle, down the length of the Wall....not at it.

Enter The Wall from the Lincoln Memorial side...that is the chronological beginning and the power of the monument is best taken in using that route.

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln Memorial
Lincoln Memorial
26,259 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: updated plans vet to see vietnam wall

Thank you Riptide and Travlin'prankster

I so much appreciate your helpful hints. I am going next to the wall website and look up the names of the soldiers my husband knew.

And I will be sure to have them enter the wall thru the Lincoln Memorial side.

I am putting together a list of tips and an itinerary for them.

Keep those tips coming everyone, I am learning so much

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln Memorial
Lincoln Memorial
26,259 Reviews
Washington DC, DC