We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off-peak travel?

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Off-peak travel?

Does that even exist? I'm lookibg to spend a few days in DC during an off peak month. Anytime that isn't winter.

Are there any 'slow' times between May and October that are better?

Even The end of April is good.

thanx ahead of time

Edited: 18 August 2010, 14:51
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Off-peak travel?

April is when it starts getting crowded in DC because of the cherry blossoms. Hotel rates go up. I don't think the hotel rates are very high during the summer, but it is very crowded.

Sometimes in October it can be expensive becuase of conventions but it is not very crowded.

I would check September hotel rates.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,718 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off-peak travel?

April is probably the busiest time of the year in Washington for tourism. Cherry Blossom festival plus a lot of school groups.

The only time (non-winter) that comes to mind for slow times is actually right around now, mid to late August.

Usually Congress is out of session, the President is off somewhere, many of the locals are out of town. Things are noticably less busy.

And also noticably very hot and humid for the most part.

Otherwise, May through October is usually quite busy in DC.

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off-peak travel?

I was wondering the very same thing, how about March? I know there could still be snow on the ground and its hard to predicit how cold it will be, but is March a slow(er) time with no kids out of school and museums still open and tours going on?

It seems hotels are very high here, would March be a cheaper month??

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Off-peak travel?

I would check early March

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
115 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off-peak travel?

I'd consider late October/early November over March. Heat tends to linger here but doesn't arrive early; plus, March is Spring Break time so you may have more tourists and students than you think.

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off-peak travel?

Oh I forgot about Spring Break...... good thinking. It will be our first time and my husband is not much of a traveler, and I know once we get there he will just love it. Just don't want to come at a WAY crowed time and really make him want to strangle me!!!!

So it looks like the best "off-peak" and cheaper hotels would be late Oct/ Nov but before thanksgiving??

There is so much I wanna do, I hope a week will be enough time to fit it all in!!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,718 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Off-peak travel?

"So it looks like the best "off-peak" and cheaper hotels would be late Oct/ Nov but before thanksgiving??"

Not necessarily. You have to look out for conventions then. Also, as I alluded to earlier, Congress really drives DC to a great extent. If Congress is in session, there are more business travelers, driving up hotel rates.

dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Off-peak travel?

I agree that late October/ Nov time frame should be a good time. Even early December -- it generally doesn't get really cold that early. Early March might work and weather can be warm to light snow. While Congress drives a lot in DC, there are many conventions here that are unrelated to Congress.

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Off-peak travel?

Is everything still open in Oct/ Nov, such as all the buildings and visitor centers and all the tours still going on, even the zoo , will we be able to do all the stuff that we would be able to do in July?

dl
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Off-peak travel?

All the museums and buildings are open all year. They extend the visitors hours a bit in the summer. Tours are going on all year. The zoo animal exhibits close at 4:30 beginning in Nov. In Nov the one weekend it might be a little more crowded would be around Veteran's Day, but nothing like the Spring crowds.