We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the must do's

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
46 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
What are the must do's

I am going to DC next week with a teenager and toddler. What are some places we should see? And things we should do? Just getting some advice. I have some plans we are only staying 4 days.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,135 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the must do's

Start by clicking on "Things to Do" on the left-hand side of this page. Most definitely take a walk along the Mall to see the monuments and memorials. Also, take a look at www.si.edu and pick a museum or two that interest you.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the must do's

Maybe the Smithsonian or the monuments or the Capitol.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the must do's

Wow, that's quite an age spread to deal with :-)

The Museum of Natural History should hold interest for both of them. There's a 3D Oceans Imax film that is very cool that both of them might like if the toddler will hold still for 3D glasses. Also at the Museum of Natural History is an Insect Zoo exhibit with live insects that is pretty cool. At least there, the teenager might be able to go off on his/her own while you manage the toddler. You ought to see the LIncoln Memorial end of the Mall even if the toddler is just along for the stroller ride. Be aware that there's a Glen Beck/Sara Palin rally on the 28th that will make the Mall busy. See the post on this forum about that for times etc.

There's an aquarium you could go to, but I haven't been there so I can't help with those plans. I just know that it's somewhere in the general vicinity of the Mall.

Good luck.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
46 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the must do's

Thanks for the replies.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the must do's

I totally agree with the suggestion of The Museum of Natural History. I have a 2 and a half year old and she really liked the "preserved" animals there, and strangely, the half naked cavemen. :) They also have a live butterfly exhibit which is good but you need to get timed tickets ahead of time. The National Zoo is always good - I recommend getting on their web site and finding out what time they do the elephant training.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
152 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are the must do's

I second the Zoo, except it's really hot right now so most of the animals are indoors and inactive. Winter is the best time to visit.

I've heard the Spy Museum is really cool.

When we were kids we enjoyed the Air & Space Museum. They have an IMAX and simulators and all kinds of things kids like. My personal favorite museum is American History and it's been renovated recently and has some hands-on stuff for kids.

7. Re: What are the must do's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2011, 08:18