We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need romantic ideas for day to pop the question!!!

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
8 posts
Save Topic
Need romantic ideas for day to pop the question!!!

Hello,

Thanks for reading and considering offering me some advice. I am looking for romantic activities to do (and a great, but reasonably priced place to eat.) One weekend this month will be the day that I ask my girlfriend the big question.

I need help, as I haven't lived in the area long. I would also consider Maryland suggestions, and possibly No Va.

Thank you for helping me create the best day of our lives!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
239 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need romantic ideas for day to pop the question!!!

Romantic activities....hmmmm....How about one of those moonlight tours of DC?

As for a great restaurant I would highly recommend The Oceannaire Seafood Room on "F" Street, NW. My husband and I were just there for our anniversary and it was wonderful!

While it's not the cheapest place around, the portions are HUMONGOUS and are meant to be shared which can cut back on the bill tremendously. I had THE BEST crabcakes I have ever had in my life here...and that's saying a lot. The service is excellent and they have valet parking.

Best of Luck!

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need romantic ideas for day to pop the question!!!

How about the Inn at Little Washington, VA? It's not much of a guy place, but the women love it. Same goes for the Inn at Perry Cabin in St Michaels, MD.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need romantic ideas for day to pop the question!!!

Filomena restaurant in Georgetown.

8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need romantic ideas for day to pop the question!!!

Try "1789" in Georgetown. They are one of the best fine dining restaurants in DC. The staff is really good at accomodating "special" guests. They are only open during the evening but if you go in during the early evening you can request specific tables or specific rooms.

8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need romantic ideas for day to pop the question!!!

Try "1789" in Georgetown. They are one of the best fine dining restaurants in DC. The staff is really good at accomodating "special" guests. They are only open during the evening but if you go in during the early evening you can request specific tables or specific rooms.

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need romantic ideas for day to pop the question!!!

A DC newbie needs the washingtonian magazine, they do lots of restaurant rating with their readers and have an on-line presences.

http://www.washingtonian.com/

also the washington post on-line is a great resource for finding out about dining in DC with lots of reviews on line.

January is certainly and indoor month, pity because a lot DC's most romantic choices are outdoors.

All the suggestions in the Post above are good food choices, but maybe more than "reasonably priced"

Stop in for a drink at The Tabard on N Street near dupont circle. It's a neat old hotel with fireplaces in the lounge bar lobby. It's worn, but cosy and popular.

Or for a rooftop view of DC go to the bar at the Hotel Washington near the white house. You can play "spot the secret service agents" since you can be sure they are some in the crowd. Better venue in summer of course but I think they might have it winterized.

Rent a room at one of the big old hotels. No shortage of style and they have good january special rates for the weekend. One example might be the Mayflower on connecticut.

Or find a town house B&B in G'town.

I wish the Rockville Pike offered romantic choices but alas, unless you went to Richard Montgomery High School your are unlikelly to conjure up romantic memories of it.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need romantic ideas for day to pop the question!!!

Can you define "reasonably priced place to eat"?

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need romantic ideas for day to pop the question!!!

Have you considered Annapolis? There are many great restaurants and cruises out of the city dock.

Also there are quaint bed and breakfast's if you wanted to make a night of it.

Restaurants to consider:

Carrols Creek Cafe (waterfront)

Ruth's Chris

The Rockfish

Best Wishes!

(Another idea would be St. Michaels MD.)

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need romantic ideas for day to pop the question!!!

As a recently engaged woman,i'm glad that my fiance did not actually propose in a restuarant. There are so many romantic spots is DC. My favorite is a small, but beautiful pond just on the other side on the Vietnam Wall on the Mall - walk towards the Washington monument and you'll come across it. There is even a little stone bridge where you can walk acorss to a minature island and sit under a Weeping Willow - it's been several years since i was there, but that would be on the top. The tidal basin right outside of the Jefferson Memorial is always fantastic, and something fun, even if there are people around is the top of the Washington Memorial.

If you're young and on a strict budget, I'd propose, then grab take out from your favorite restaurant, and have candles, flowers and wine on the table already set up when you get home. It's the preparation, not the cost that impresses your loved one.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
455 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need romantic ideas for day to pop the question!!!

I like the idea of walking around a memorial, like the Lincoln after dinner, or maybe a park. But that may not be possible, so I don't think over diner is so bad.

As for dinner, the places that have been suggested are great, but you are looking at $150-200 + tip with wine, entree and dessert.

Again, I agree it isn't about how much you spend but the thought put into it, either at home or dinner out.

Know the wine list, call ahead for suggestions so you know what to get and what she likes. Know the menu by reading reviews so you can suggest things that you think she would like. Know how to get there. Have friends put champagne and flowers out at the place you return to for an added surprise at the end of the evening.

If you have a price limit and an idea of what kind of food you like, post it.

Also realize that you can go to a familiar place that you both like, that doesn't have to be fancy. That way everytime you go, you remember it fondly. In my neighborhood, it would be the Evening Star Cafe. We met there and go often and remember just where we were when . . . .

Congrats,