We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel and Metro recommendations

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel and Metro recommendations

My son and I are planning a to spend three days in October in DC and would like to stay someplace with access to the Metro and all the major sites...especially the National Mall.

What is a good hotel..with reasonable rates and metro access. Also any advice on using the metro system would be appreciated.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,164 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel and Metro recommendations

The best advice I can give you is to start reading this forum. It is filled with topics about choosing a hotel. And there are quite a few topics about how easy using Metro is too. Another great resource on the Metro is http://www.wmata.com/ And when you start reading you will see that if you define "reasonable rate" and also post your exact dates, you will get some specific suggestions. Without that info, no one can tell you where to stay.

Edited: 18 September 2010, 23:25
Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel and Metro recommendations

Thanks for the info.....as far as rates for a hotel go..I'm looking to spend less than 250 per night ( my guess is that it will be too much to hope for less than 200 per night)..and we are looking at arriving on the 28th and leaving on the 31st.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,164 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel and Metro recommendations

You are talking about one of the busiest, and probably one of the most expensive, weekends of the autumn. Look at the posts about the rallies recently announced by the Comedy Central guys. And the Marine Corps Marathon is also that weekend. If possible, I would change your plans. Hotel rooms are probably already scarce.

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel and Metro recommendations

We were in DC a few weeks ago and stayed at the Marriott Courtyard Navy Yard. There's not a whole lot around besides businesses, a few restaurants, a CVS, and the Nationals Stadium, but it's just a short block (2 minute walk) to the Metro Station. We found this hotel to be perfect for us. Clean, friendly staff, close to Metro, and we walked back from the Capitol which was only about a 12 minute walk. The walk was fine during the day, but at night the area that goes under the freeway might make me nervous.

I checked the rates for that time and it $189/nt. There is also a rate that includes breakfast at $209, but breakfast buffet that includes made to order omelets and eggs is something like $11 per adult or $5.50 per child (under 12 I think).

Not being subway people, we found it pretty easy to navigate. You need to know where you're going and see what the last stop is on that line to know which one to get on. The only problem we had was when we got out of a subway to know which direction we were heading. I wish we would have brought a compass with us.

Have fun!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,164 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel and Metro recommendations

"The only problem we had was when we got out of a subway to know which direction we were heading. I wish we would have brought a compass with us."

Many of the major stations have big blue signs near the exit that can get you pointed in the right direction. Or just ask one of the mostly friendly locals to point you the right way. Of course, if you come out of Smithsonian at The Mall and can't figure out where you are, you may not be familiar with the Capitol or the Washington Monument.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel and Metro recommendations

The Affinia Liasion hotel is being quoted for an average of $196 per night on Travelocity for those nights. It is near Union Station in DC. Not sure how long those rates will last.

7. Re: Hotel and Metro recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2011, 05:18