We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ice hockey

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
ice hockey

travelling to DC early november and was considering going to see the capitols v toronto - would this game likely be a sell out ?

should i purchase tickets in advance or are there ways of getting discounted tickets the day of the game ?

thanks

roanoke, va
Level Contributor
155 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ice hockey

https:/…

this site allows you to buy single game tickets from season ticket holders who aren't able to make a particular game. i've used it before and had good experiences.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ice hockey

The game is very likely to sell out. The Capitals are currently quite popular, and most of the arena is sold out to season ticket holders. The only reasonable possibility of discounts on tickets on the day of the game is if you can find them on the secondary market from someone looking to cut their losses. The website already posted is one such choice, but in my experience Ticketmaster keeps the prices high. I've had better results via www.stubhub.com, which has guarantees to ensure you get legitimate tickets to the event or will refund your money. I'd start watching the game and see if prices are trending up or down, and buy accordingly.

Belfast
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ice hockey

thanks - seems to be good value on stubhub.

is it a safe enviroment for tourists. .... we are staying in the beacon hotel and corporate quarters which seems to be quite close. would it be safe to walk or should we get a cab ?

thanks

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ice hockey

Are you talking about the Beacon at 1615 Rhode Island Ave. NW?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,728 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ice hockey

I wouldn't call the Beacon Hotel "quite close" to the Verizon Center, but you could certainly walk it without any fear for your life or possessions.

Belfast
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ice hockey

yes it is - can you order from stubhub if you are outside the us or canada - i am having difficulties

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ice hockey

Sorry, I don't know if you can buy with stubhub from outside the U.S. I'd suggest selecting seats that show as being available for electronic delivery, and see if it'll let you buy those. The electronic delivery seats are e-mailed to you for printing at home, so your mailing address shouldn't figure into it. For other listings, paper tickets get FedEx'd to you buy the original owner of the ticket, so it is possible they don't permit international shipping to keep costs down. You can e-mail them via their contact page; I've had reasonably prompt results in asking them questions in the pasts (12 to 24 hours on an answer).

If stubhub won't sell to you directly, maybe ask the concierge of your hotel if they can buy the tickets and charge your room account. Better hotels will do this, but I'm not sure if the Beacon provides such a service.

Finally, check out www.ascticket.com. It is a ticket broker in the Washington D.C. that holds a good size inventory of tickets to local events. I've at times been able to get seats at or near cost that are better than what can be had from the team. While it won't be at a discount, you may get a better experience out of it. I don't know if they'll ship international either, but would imagine they'll answer for you if you e-mail.

DC
Level Contributor
227 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: ice hockey

I've been to a few Capitols/Maple Leafs games and they tend to sell out. In addition to the Capitols being pretty good, there are quite a few Leafs fans in the area.

9. Re: ice hockey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2011, 05:17