We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for driving 1/2 down from NY

New York
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestions for driving 1/2 down from NY

We finally made our reservations at Washington Suites for the last week-end in Oct. (Staying until that Tues) We were thinking of maybe leaving Friday night, and driving about 1/2 way down-somewhere around 2/12 hours from Orange Cty NY (southern NY state). Any suggestions of where to stay, or what area to stay? Since Sat at the mall is going to be crazy, Sat we thought we would do the zoo and stay away from the mall area until Sun morning, then do the museums. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for driving 1/2 down from NY

Well, what route do you plan to take?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,839 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for driving 1/2 down from NY

The Marine Corps Marathon includes running around The Mall, so it won't be business as usual there on Sunday either.

Mentioned in this post
The Marine Corps Marathon - Washington DC
The Marine Corps...
2 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
New York
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for driving 1/2 down from NY

I'm assuming it's NJ Turnpike (I'm not the driver). My husband looked at the AAA trip tix, and he mentioned Newark Delaware?

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
Delaware
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for driving 1/2 down from NY

Unless you are near New York City, I would avoid taking rt. 95. It is a pain in the neck. I drove MD (right outside DC) to Massachusetts last year and took 81 north to 84.

If you are near 81, you could take it south.

Newark, DE is a cute little town. I drove through there for the first time last month. It is nothing to go out of the way for though.

I think if you actually post the route, someone can help you. What is Orange Cty? Orange City, Orange County?

Mentioned in this post
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
Newark
Newark
Delaware
New York
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for driving 1/2 down from NY

Actually it's Monroe, NY-(Orange County, NY. ) If there are any shoppers out there-about 10 minutes away from Woodbury Commons. Sorry I don't know more about the route-our AAA map is at home, and I'm in my office-

Mentioned in this post
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
5,129 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for driving 1/2 down from NY

What about a stop in Atlantic City? -or- Philadelphia ?

Mentioned in this post
Atlantic City
Atlantic City
Jersey Shore, NJ
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
New York
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for driving 1/2 down from NY

AAA has it maped out taking 95 all the way down-seems most direct, is there an alternate route people travel from NY area-we would take NY Thruway south, to Turnpike south to 95.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,257 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for driving 1/2 down from NY

take either 287 or Garden state to NJT and totally miss NYC.

Depending on traffic, I often take 195 (8A, I think) and skip over to 295 for less traffic and no tolls. It merges back onto 95 just before the DMB. From there, you are as straight shot down 95.

As for a place to stay, it is only 5 hours from Woodbury commons to Wash so no real need to stop overnight. But if you had to, 1/2 is middle of nowhere so would just pick someplace cheap off of the highway. Newark is as good as anyplace. It has a cute downtown area and UDEL.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
New York
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for driving 1/2 down from NY

thanks! The only reason we're going to stop (originally we were going to leave Sat morning), is that we're working all day Friday, not sure if we would be up to a 5 hour drive-found the Ramada in Newark, DE, free breakfast for $59 including taxes on Expedia. We can wake up Sat, and head right to the zoo (hopefuly with a little more energy!)

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
10. Re: Suggestions for driving 1/2 down from NY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2011, 04:17