We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see in DC

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What to see in DC

We will be heading to DC later this week to attend Jon Stewart's rally. We are staying at the Washington Court Hotel...and would like recommendations of must-see's in the area as well as any local places for breakfast and dinner ( not too expensive!) We are arriving Thursday afternoon so will have Thursday night and all day Friday for sightseeing. We are leaning towards seeing the monuments Thursday night because I'm told that's the best time to see them...and we're having a hard time narrowing down what we want to see on Friday...

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see in DC

Start here http://www.si.edu

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
994 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see in DC

Definitely check out the link above to see which Smithsonian Museums interest you. They are all really amazing - and free.

There aren't too many restaurants within walking distance of the Washington Court. The hotel is on Capitol Hill, which can be relatively quiet at night. I recommend checking out the food court at Union Station - they have some nice, inexpensive dining options. Capital City Brewery is good for beer/American food. More expensive options include Bistro Bis at the Hotel George and Art & Soul at the Liaison Hotel.

Have fun!

Level Contributor
34,201 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see in DC

Try to get out to Arlington Cemetery, you can take The Tourmobile there to get around quickly. Try to schedule your visit to see the Changing of the Guard. Enjoy your time in Washinton DC, it's an amazing city! :)

Silverado...
Level Contributor
2 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see in DC

For a quick way to see several of the monuments at night (they are most beautiful then), try a segway tour, but book it now. There are a few companies that offer night tours. We did one with City Segway Tours two weeks ago that was great fun and a good way to see many monuments in a short period of time. Our guide was very informative and fun, and we all had such a great time that we wanted to do it again the next day but managed to refrain. You need to reserve as soon as possible though. It is pricey if you're on a tight budget, but I think it's worth it. the tour we went on started at 6 and went until 9. You could get dinner before or after, and that would be your Thursday.

The tour would also give you an overview of the monuments you want to spend more time at on Friday morning. But on Friday, my guess is you will spend most of the day in one of the amazing Smithsonian museums. Note that the museums open pretty late in the morning, so if you are an early riser like I am, you will be twiddling the thumbs until opening time. Use that time to visit some monuments.

Oh, say hi to Jon for me. Wish I could be there too.

Andover...
Level Contributor
615 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see in DC

Thanks for all the suggestions...Spendley..that sounds like the perfect way to spend Thursday..since we will be arriving around 3:30..and thought we'd like to do the monuments at night.

As someone who has never been to DC..I'm looking forward to it all....although I think it would take a week to do all the Smithsonian museums...we've narrowed it down to the Museum of National History and the Air and Space Museum...hopefully we'll get to Arlington Cemetery...

Atlanta
Level Contributor
231 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to see in DC

I agree with the City Segway Tour at night. It was the highlight of our trip. It seems expensive, but it was worth every penny !!!!!!!! You will want to do it again . We did it in DC over Labor Day. Had so much fun that we did it in Puerto Rico a few weeks ago. You'll want to do it in every city you visit. We want to try it in San Francisco sometime. We'll probably do one in DC again also....one day.

7. Re: What to see in DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2011, 06:17