We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel centrally located for visiting universities

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
hotel centrally located for visiting universities

We will be visiting George Washington University, Georgetown University and American University in two days. Which hotel is the best location ? We will be driving to Virginia afterwards, which airport should we fly into? Rent a car for the DC portion or just walk and metro between universities?

Thanks for info

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel centrally located for visiting universities

No car needed for DC portion. Just rent it when you are ready to venture off into Virginia. GW is easily accessible by Metro (subway). AU has a somewhat nearby stop-Tenleytown. Georgetown is a fair walk from any Metro stop. Doable if you are fit enough. You will probably want to use the bus as well or a cab.

cambridge
Level Contributor
222 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel centrally located for visiting universities

try the washington suites georgetown, it is in foggy bottom which is location of George Washington University (about 5 min walk from the hotel), georgetown University is a 20-25 min walk from the hotel or you can use the circulator bus which stops near the hotel or the georgetown circulator from the Foggy Bottom metro station to get into georgetown. For American University you can take the metro to Tenleytown/AU stop. As the previous poster suggested only rent a car for the Virginia portion of the trip. For the airports I am not sure where you are flying in from but there are 3 - Dulles which is located in virginia approx 30-40 mins away, national which is just across the potomac river and has metro access to DC (as well as cabs) and BWI in Maryland.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,183 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel centrally located for visiting universities

As mentioned previously, you have 3 options for airports--Reagan National Airport, Dulles International Airport and BWI-Thurgood Marshall International Airport.

For transportation options at each airport, check:

National--http://www.metwashairports.com/reagan/1179.htm

Dulles--http://www.metwashairports.com/dulles/793.htm

Baltimore-Washington (BWI)--http://www.bwiairport.com/en/travel/ground-transportation

While airfares are generally more expensive to National Airport, the ease and lower costs of ground transportation should be considered. I try to fly in and out of National as much as possible as I live in Arlington. Of the remaining two airports, I would choose Dulles over BWI because I find getting to/from from Dulles to be much easier than getting to/from BWI.

Finally, Southwest Airlines flies to both Dulles and BWI and sometimes those fares just can't be beat. (I just booked my son's flight home from UT for Christmas last night on Southwest and while I'm dreading the drive to/from BWI, I just couldn't pass up the fantastic sale fare I got.)

Boston
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel centrally located for visiting universities

I recently did the same thing & got a good rate on Priceline for the Fairfax at Embassy Row, $110 a night....plus $40 something to park.

5. Re: hotel centrally located for visiting universities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2011, 06:46