We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DC- After Christmas

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
431 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
DC- After Christmas

Hi All,

Considering a family trip to DC the week after Christmas. We've ben before, a few years back, but missed so much.

Couple of quick questions:

Weather that week?

Need a car?

I see plenty of hotels with good rates. Do you recommend Arlington, Crystal City, or just off the Mall?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,851 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DC- After Christmas

No one knows what the weather will be like a month away. They didn't even do a good job of predicting this week, last week. You will get what you get. Check back a day or two before you get here for a vague idea.

If you have been here before you should know that a car for touring DC is a liability. Use Metro, buses or your feet. Or even a taxi. Cheaper than trying to park a car.

We recommend all those places. It all depends on what you can afford. Staying downtown close to some things is always better, but usually more expensive. Keep reading this forum and you will learn a lot about picking a hotel.

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
431 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DC- After Christmas

Thanks,

Any opinion on the area just South of the Mall, vs the other two? There are a few hotels at the Mall that are priced as low as Arlington or Crystal City, and I guess it would save us a Metro ride.

Also wondering about the areas safety since it gets dark so early, for walks to dinner, etc..

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,266 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DC- After Christmas

If you gave specific hotel names or addresses it would be easier to respond. When I think "south of the Mall" I'm thinking of maybe L'Enfant Plaza Hotel or the Holiday Inn on (I think) 3rd Street or C Strret SW?

Anyway, if those are the ones you're thinking of, there really isn't anyplace to walk to for dinner. These locations are not unsafe, just full of office buildings and the place empties out once the workers leave. You would have to hop on Metro anyway.

If you provide the names of hte hotels in question it will be easier to give specifics.

Mentioned in this post
L'Enfant Plaza
L'Enfant Plaza
99 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,851 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DC- After Christmas

The area just south of The Mall is boring. And you don't want to go too far south or it gets less desirable than ever. Unless you are desperate to be close to The Mall and nothing else matters, Crystal City is a much more interesting area. It sort of depends on your priorities.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: DC- After Christmas

It is difficult to give weather stats...this season it has been very cold..

the normal high is 46 and the low 32.

You will not need a car.

It is always nice to be able to walk to things from your hotel. This is a great city for walking

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DC- After Christmas

Being in the city will probably be more enjoyable than staying out in VA. You won't have to worry about rush hour travel as much and there is really no need for a car. Being off the Mall will be nice if you plan on spending a lot of time at the museums. It's a bit harder to find good places to eat, though not impossible. I recommend planning your restaurant destinations before traveling outside in what will most likely be some serious cold. A couple of good resources for that are:

washingtonpost.com/gog/dc-restaurants.html

http://www.yelp.com/dc

Have fun!

-Vanessa, Innkeeper at the American Guest House Bed and Breakfast

Mentioned in this post
American Guest House
American Guest House
528 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
7. Re: DC- After Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2011, 05:39