We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best local food & where to get it

Miami
Level Contributor
444 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Best local food & where to get it

Boston is known for lobster roll, NY for hotdogs, Chicago for deep dish pizza, & Miami for Cuban food - but what food is DC know for?

I want to know what food is typical for DC & where to go to get it.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best local food & where to get it

Here is one recent thread that might be helpful:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28970-i40-k397179…

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best local food & where to get it

Good question, we like to do the same thing when we go to a new place.

The link posted by vjpblovesitaly is helpful. We just went a couple weeks ago we went to Ben's Chili Bowl. Get a Chili Half Smoke w/ everything. We also got the Chili Cheese Fries. Heartattack on a plate but it was good.

This is one of those places that Food Network, Man vs Food, etc have been to

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best local food & where to get it

Although not a particular type of food Old Ebbitt Grill gets a lot of recommendations. It kept coming up in my pre-trip research and then once we got there the hotel, tour guide, cab driver all suggested it. Reservations are recommended, depending on the day/time.

We didn't make it this past time but next time in town we are going to be sure to go.

www.ebbitt.com/main/home.cfm…

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,223 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best local food & where to get it

One of my favorite places but must admit have not been in some time is Marrakesh Restaurant. http://www.marrakesh.us/index.cfm?page=1.010. This is a very unique experience.

When I was looking this up, I noticed someplace called Marrakesh Palace which is apparently a different restaurant. Looks good also. Any of you folks, been to either place and have a more current appraisal?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,603 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best local food & where to get it

Marrakesh Palace near Dupont Circle is the subject of quite a bit of neighborhood anger due to a lot of noise late at night. I have never been, but read about it some times in the local papers. I believe their liquor license renewal is being protested. Some excessive rowdiness as patrons leave.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
471 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best local food & where to get it

Ben's Chili Bowl is overrated. The chili reminded me of canned chili, and the half-smoke is pretty mediocre. it's a complete tourist trap that is only significant because it survived the race riots.

The most unique local fare is probably Maryland crab. DC also has great South Asian restaurants. Vietnamese is very good in DC and there are a number of good kabob places. Rasika was recently rated as the top Indian restaurant in the country.

Crabs and South Asian are whats good. The cupcakes and hamburgers are overrated.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,603 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best local food & where to get it

Hearing about the guy using the same hands to pick up some fries and make cash change was enough to convince me not to visit Ben's for any food.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best local food & where to get it

For excellent Southern soul food, visit the Florida Avenue Grill, or else the Saints Paradise cafeteria (enter their names here in the Washington Forum search box, to read details and customer reviews).

The Washington area also has the USA's largest community of Ethiopians (many of them taxi drivers, parking garage attendants, baggage handlers, or street vendors). Some notable and highly-rated Ethiopian restaurants are clustered near the U Street Metro stop, and other neighborhoods of Northwest DC.

Edited: 03 January 2011, 23:05
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,141 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best local food & where to get it

"Ben's Chili Bowl is overrated. The chili reminded me of canned chili, and the half-smoke is pretty mediocre. it's a complete tourist trap that is only significant because it survived the race riots."

Well, that and Bill Cosby always went (still goes?) there when he comes to town. Then President Obama went and put it on the map again. I agree with your assessment pretty much. Found it funny to see lines going down the alley for the place last year after the President went there.

I think it sometimes wins by default:

Q: What's a unique local food in Washington?

A: Um...there really isn't one. Can't think of one...Oh, I guess the half-smoke! Go to Ben's Chili Bowl and get one...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best local food & where to get it

There is a lot of Ethiopian in D.C. Also a lot of very good Vietnamese just across the river in Virginia if you have a car.

I wouldn't call Ben's Chili Bowl "D.C. fare", just a dive that has a legendary local following. Some love, some hate, some meh...