We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April trip to Wash DC

Sd
Level Contributor
300 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
April trip to Wash DC

I have a dear friend who is taking a trip with her husband to celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary in April. They will have about a week to explore the area.

Please suggest what they should see, ideas for special out of the way places to visit and the "musts' for dining.

They are concerned about using the subway but I told them I had no problem when I was there in 1988 and 1990. My two visits there were for only a day or two at a time so I know I missed much.

Thank you in advance,

LadyFeathers

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,427 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April trip to Wash DC

I would suggest they go to the library or bookstore and get a guidebook to DC. Then they can sit down at leisure and see what interests them, since I'm guessing they don't have a computer to click on the "Things to Do" link on the left of this page. And they should have no fear of our Metro. Strangers from other towns arrive every day and figure it out, mostly, within a few minutes. And if you do a search of this forum on "anniversary" you will find some suggestions others have gotten for a special visit.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April trip to Wash DC

A couple of art museum recommendations are the Phillips Collection (in Dupont Circle neighborhood loaded with very good restaurants) and the Textile Museum, also near Dupont Circle. They off the beaten path a bit, but on the Metro, and are unique collections in gorgeous buildings.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: April trip to Wash DC

You can get a free guidebook and a map by calling DestinationDC@ 202-789-7030 or 800-422-8644.

April is a very busy time so things may be crowded. Here is a list of places that might appeal to them: Hillwood Museum (home of Marjorie Merriweather Post) Reservations needed...National Cathedral...Botanic Gardens...Arlington Cemetery....Newseum...National Portrait Gallery.

As for eating...Old Ebbitt Grill...1789....Mie N Yu......Martin's Tavern

Best views POV for cocktails (in W Hotel...you need reservations)

Indigo Landing just south of the city is a restaurant at a marina...you can watch the boats come in ,the airplanes at Reagan and the DC skyline .

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,427 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: April trip to Wash DC

Indigo Landing is not that close to a Metro stop, has an interesting view of the Potomac River and National Airport, but the food isn't that good and unless you have a car, not worth the bother to get there, IMHO.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
663 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: April trip to Wash DC

Second the recommendation on POV Lounge for a drink - fantastic view.

As far as musts for dining, I'd refer you to the Washington Post's Dining Guide - one of the best resources for what's great now in terms of food: washingtonpost.com/gog/dining-guide-tom-siet…

6. Re: April trip to Wash DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2012, 05:44