We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is Capitol Hill

salt lake city
Level Contributor
159 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
How safe is Capitol Hill

I am a single mom who will be visiting D.C. this Spring with my 13 year old daughter. I am considering the Washington Court Hotel at 525 New Jersey Avenue, N.W. We will be coming into and leaving from Union Station and want to walk as much as possible between there, the hotel and the major attractions between the hours of 7Am and 6PM, during the week and weekend. Would love advice about safey for women walking these areas alone. How is the hotel area? Are the streets alive with tourists at these times and how safe are they? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Maryland
Level Contributor
586 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe is Capitol Hill

That area is fine, but, as usual, remember you're in a big city and need to stay alert. The streets near the hotel are "lively" with office workers during weekdays and fairly quiet on weekends. The hotel is a short walk from Union Station, and an easy walk to the Mall.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,894 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe is Capitol Hill

During those hours the streets will be full of traffic and pedestrians, I can't imagine what kind of issues you'd run into other than being careful to stay in the crosswalk and watch for the "don't walk' signs. Or even the "walk" signs as drivers sometimes ignore them.

(DC has a lot to do in the evenings, I hope you're not going to lock yourselves in the hotel at 6:00 every night!)

salt lake city
Level Contributor
159 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe is Capitol Hill

No, no. Just plan to be WALKING alone during those hours.

Lawton, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
117 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe is Capitol Hill

My family and I stayed at the Washington Court Hotel last summer. It is a fine hotel in a great location. Easy walk to Capital Hill. You can walk to the National Mall from there. You will be close to Union Station and Union Station Metro. Use the Metro as much as possible. You will be on the Capital End of the Mall. Its a very long walk to the White House and Monuments on the other end of the National Mall. You may want to use the metro to get there. Check out the metro website for maps.

Good and cheap breakfast right across the street from the Hotel at Billy Goat Tavern.

http://www.wmata.com/

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How safe is Capitol Hill

There is a lot of street activities around the hotel and Union Station every day. More office workers and politicians on weekdays, and more tourists on weekends. It will be very busy towards the end of March.

As long as you don't venture too far North of Union Station or North of Massachusettes Avenue (where it may be too quiet), you should be fine. In general, just walk towards Capitol Hill and the Mall, and you will be surrounded by pedestrians or tourists.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
93 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How safe is Capitol Hill

I agree with the previous responses -- this area will have lots of street activity during the hours you mentioned.

salt lake city
Level Contributor
159 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How safe is Capitol Hill

Thanks!

Gaithersburg
Level Contributor
694 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How safe is Capitol Hill

In that I work across the street from this particular Hyatt, I can say that the area is good during the day; however, there is not much going on at night - unless you desire to go around the corner to the Dubliner Irish Pub, which is about a five minute walk. There is a new cafe called West Wing Cafe across the street - on the righ as you leave the hotel, where you can find some great artisan sandwiches. Additionally, across the stree is the Liassion Hotel, home to the Art and Soul restaurant and it is highly recommended (though pricey).

9. Re: How safe is Capitol Hill

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 00:16