We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Harbor

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
7,940 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
National Harbor

I'm planning on driving to DC this weekend. I want to stay in the National Harbor area or close enough to it. Which areas should I look into?

I want to book with Priceline or Hotwire.com. Which area should I consider?

All suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Edited: 17 February 2011, 15:32
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: National Harbor

Why do you want to stay in the National Harbor or close enough to it? That is in MD.

I would stay in DC in Dupont Circle, Downtown or Penn Quarter. If you go to betterbidding.com, you will be able to see what hotels have been won lately

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
7,940 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: National Harbor

Sorry about the confusion. I keep thinking that National Harbor is in DC.

I was at National Harbor a few months ago but was only there for a few hours. I only want to go for dinner and some shopping. I'm only staying for one night.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,589 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: National Harbor

No hotels in DC are near National Harbor. Hotels in Alexandria are closer, and on the other side of the Wilson Bridge. There are good restaurants and shopping in Alexandria too.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: National Harbor

National Harbor has at least 3 hotels that I know of, including the Gaylord National which at 2,000 rooms is now the largest hotel in the entire metropolitan area. ("Wikipedia" claims it has 6 hotels, but I think they're wrong). While there are numerous boutique and unusual art shops at the Harbor, and several expensive restaurants that have earned mediocre reviews, it's not the sort of place someone would pick as a shopping destination, nor as a base for sightseeing either. The Harbor area is more geared as a convention site for visitors attending on-site conventions there in the complex.

Edited: 18 February 2011, 03:39
Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: National Harbor

Since you said you had been to National Harbor before, you must know what it has to offer and why you want to stay there. This is different from most tourists who have never been there and are not aware of the distance to DC.

As MarylandMist pointed out, you can stay right inside National Harbor in one of the hotels there.

http://www.nationalharbor.com/intro.htm

Since you will be there on a weekend, you can always drive into DC if you want to. Traffic into DC is a whole lot better on weekends.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: National Harbor

Here's the web site for National Harbor

http://www.nationalharbor.com/intro.htm

I thought it might not only interest you but aide you in your planning.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: National Harbor

Don't know that NH gets its own designation on hotwire, etc which means there is somewhat of a guessing game about which hotel you may get. You don't want to stay "in the area" unless it is actually in NH or in Alexandria.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: National Harbor

Priceline has "National Harbor" (Area 12) and Hotwire has "National Harbor/Oxon Hill" (section L). Does not sound promising to me. Both seem to include areas outside the Harbor.

Priceline's description states: A short ferry ride across the Potomac from historic Washington DC brings visitors to the newly developed National Harbor. Boasting a convention center, several hotels, and numerous new shops and restaurants, National Harbor beckons to vacationers and business travelers alike.

I thought there was a ferry to Alexandria, not DC.

Edited: 23 February 2011, 17:04
King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
7,940 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: National Harbor

Thanks for the replies. I know that there are many other sites I could visit but I was looking forward to a low key, quick getaway. I was at NH for the Cirque the Soleil show back in the fall and really loved the area. I had a good time at Ketchup and afterwards, I passed an accessory shop that I would love to check out (it was closed at the time). I figured that with the nice weather we had this past weekend I would drive back to NH for a day and a half and just walk around, have dinner at Ketchup again and shop a bit.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to go this past weekend but I plan on going soon. I'm going to save some money so I can endulge and stay at the Gaylord National. I can't wait. Thanks for all your help!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: National Harbor

Paris

Didn't even notice we passed your travel window. Sorry you did not make it down. I am one of the lone wolves who also likes NH. I have stayed there for meetings and don't mind the drive into town or to a metro stop. The restaurants are pretty good and since DC is not a gastronomical destination, that is ok.

Happy travels.