We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very long escalator at metro stop?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Topic
Very long escalator at metro stop?

My husband hasn't been to Washington, DC in about 20 years, but one thing he remembers thinking was pretty cool as a kid was a metro station with a VERY long escalator. He described it as when you're at the bottom you can barely see a patch of light at the top. It would be fun to find this for him to see if it is as he remembers and relive something from that trip.

A strange request, to be sure, but sometimes the littlest things can make a vacation special. :) Any ideas where this might be?

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,349 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very long escalator at metro stop?

The one at the Woodley Park-Zoo station of the Redline is the longest one for me. Many visitors have been to that station because of the Zoo. Does that ring a bell for him?

I have not been to every Metro station so cannot say for sure this is the longest.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Very long escalator at metro stop?

Adams Morgan & Dupont Circle are long. Wheaton in MD is the longest. Stand right/walk left

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very long escalator at metro stop?

Rosslyn has some long ones too.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,349 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very long escalator at metro stop?

A quick google search shows that Wiki claims the one at the Wheaton station may be the longest. I have not been to that station so did not know about that one. May be I will check it out myself one day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Metro

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,850 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very long escalator at metro stop?

Rosslyn has one of the longest and it is the most dramatic on the entire Metro system. The north end of Dupont Circle is pretty dramatic too. Wheaton is the longest, but not that dramatic. …gwhatchet.com/media/storage/paper332/news/2…

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Very long escalator at metro stop?

Thanks, everyone, for so many quick responses! I'll add these to our list and see which ones we'll be able to see based on what we're doing. I don't think he went to the zoo when he was there before, but I'll ask him.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Very long escalator at metro stop?

The one at Wheaton station, the last I heard, is actually the 2nd longest in the world. Surpassed only by one in the Moscow subway. The one at Rosslyn is also very high.

Edited: 22 February 2011, 01:30
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,305 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Very long escalator at metro stop?

Of all the escalators mentioned, all of them lead into a dark mezzanine, EXCEPT Dupont Circle, both sets of escalators going right up into the street. So if he saw sunlight at the top it was probably Dupont Circle.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
663 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Very long escalator at metro stop?

Woodley actually leads outside - after a second shorter escalator.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Very long escalator at metro stop?

I agree with EdofVA

I'll bet it was at the zoo. That's really a long esculator fitting your criteria and as a kid he would have probably been to the zoo. Adds up