I'm visiting the USA from the UK and am in Boston at the moment, but have booked myself a last minute visit to Washington DC next week. I'm catching the Megabus and arriving into DC around 5.30, and staying at the HI-DC hostel which seems to be right by the Megabus stop, thankfully! I'm trying to cram in some research and have browsed the last 10 pages of the forum but there's so much info to go through (I'm travelling for the next 3 months throughout various locations, so I'm getting overwhelmed a little!) I'm sorry if these questions have all been asked before!
I have 3 full days (4 nights) in DC.
I'm in my late 20s, have a strong interest in politics, American history, so am really excited to visit this city!
1) Could you recommend some budget places to eat that are good, preferably not nationwide chains, but that I'd feel comfortable going to as a solo traveller (I don't feel comfortable eating alone in most sit-down, wait service, restaurants.) So ideally places without waiter service.
2) Are there any things that are worth booking in advance now, but that I'm still in time for. Eg. I know I'm way too late to book a White House tour, so that's out - but I am wondering what the other best things to do in DC are that require advance booking.
3) Is it worth taking a tour of the city, and if so what are some of the best providers?
4) Could you give me some suggestions of things to do at night, suitable for a solo traveller? I want to maximise every hour I have in this city since I'm here for such a short time only, but never really know what to do past dark when travelling alone.
5) On my final day there I have a 12noon flight from Baltimore airport. I need to get there at least an hour before, probably 2 hours since I've never been to the airport before - can anyone tell me how long it takes to get from DC to Baltimore airport? I'm going on a Friday - so it sounds like the MARC from Union Station would be the best bet? If so, how long between getting to Union Station and getting to the airport check in counter would you estimate it would take?
Sorry for covering any old ground with this, any help would be really appreciated!!! :)