We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Vernon

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
55 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Mt Vernon

I've been studying Hop Stop for the best way to get to MT Vernon from DC, and from our metro stop to MV, the travel time is almost two hours.That seems like a long time for a 15 mile trip. So, I looked at Gray Line, and their route includes other places of interest. Short of renting a car, is there anyway to get from DC to MV in less than 2 hours?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt Vernon

I would check the trip planner at www.wmata.com and see what it says. You can choose a date and an arriving or departing time of day. If you put Mount Vernon in the destination, it will come up George Washington's esate or something like that.

You didn't mention your Metro stop, did you?

Edited: 03 March 2011, 19:19
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,169 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt Vernon

Did you look at the Mount Vernon website? mountvernon.org/visit/plan/index.cfm/pid/824/ They tell how to get there using the Metro and the bus. But if you are willing to rent a car it makes it simpler and you can go on your own schedule. The boat trip is nice, but you don't really end up having enough time at the estate.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt Vernon

You may be able to get a short term rental through Zip Car. I haven't fully researched this option but from what I know of Zip Car, it seems like something to look into for your trip to Mt Vernon.

I don't know the cost comparison for renting a Zip Car for the day versus renting a cheap rental car so you should compare.

http://www.zipcar.com/

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,369 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt Vernon

I think you are misreading something about travel by public bus to Mt. Vernon. The Fairfax Connector bus is a 20 minute ride. The Metro gets to Huntington in 25 minutes from the White House area.

A good compromise is: Take the Yellow Line to Huntington. If there is more than a 10 minute wait for the bus, take a taxi to Mt. Vernon from there. It's only half the price of going from DC to MV. Then at the end, take a taxi back, or if the bus if coming soon, take that and save money.

You can get there in 40 minutes by train and taxi.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
55 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mt Vernon

I like that idea. Our metro stop is Woodley Park. We would take the red line to Chinatown, and the yellow line to Huntington. I read the bus numbers we would need, #151, but according to Hop Stop it would take 45 minutes from Huntington to Mt Vernon. Thanks for all of your suggestions. I had never considered a taxi and am too afraid to drive in DC!

6. Re: Mt Vernon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 15:20