We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Hilton Garden Inn, Washington, DC

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pottstown...
Level Contributor
68 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
New Hilton Garden Inn, Washington, DC

I am exploring option for a hotel for my May trip to Washington, DC. I came across this new hotel slated to open May 15th, it is located at 1225 First St. NE. It is approximately 0.6 miles from the Smithsonian Postal Museum. My question is, is that too far to walk with 3 kids (ages 15, 8 & 6). Also is it safe to walk 0.6 miles in that neighborhood. We can pick up the tourmobile at the Postal Museum. I got a really good rate ($118). My other choice is to stay at a hotel in Falls Church, drive into Arlington National Cemetery, park and catch the tourmobile there.

Any help is greatly appreciated as there are so many hotel choices!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,527 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Hilton Garden Inn, Washington, DC

It wouldn't be my choice for somewhere to stay. This is the area behind Union Station on the other side of H Street. There has been some recent development in that area, a few new office buildings and of course the hotel. But nothing else. Few if any stores or places to eat, and I can't imagine it would be a welcoming environment after the office workers go home.

"Any help is greatly appreciated as there are so many hotel choices!"

True. So why are you limiting your option to this new Garden Inn and one other place out in Falls Church?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Hilton Garden Inn, Washington, DC

Actually that neighborhood is changing quickly--if you blink, you'll miss out. There is a new Harris Teeter grocery store and a CVS right there, and an Au Bon Pain around the corner--I didn't realize there was a hotel coming too. Not sure why you'd walk to the Postal Museum when the Florida Ave Metro station is right by the hotel. That walk would not be super pleasant during the day (grimy industrial area, lots of traffic, some unsavory characters hanging around), and borderline unsafe at night.

All that said, the neighborhood is not super--not many places to eat, and just around the corner from the traffic-y and unpleasant intersection of NY Ave and Florida Ave. It would not be my first choice.

Also, you didn't mention it, but is there any particular reason you're committed to the Tourmobile? I think it can be good for a one-day overview of the sights, but you don't want to use it to get around--they come infrequently, it's VERY expensive as a form of transport (especially for a larger family), and during peak season they can be very crowded, to the point where the first one arriving may not pick you up. The Metro and Circulator are a great way of getting around.

If you post your dates/budget/room needs on the forum, you will get some good suggestions on other hotels that may meet your needs.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,850 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Hilton Garden Inn, Washington, DC

This is the same general area as the much discussed new Megabus stop and how safe it is. Not the most tourist-friendly area. And not where I would want to spend my vacation. OK if what you are doing is something in the nearby offices. I would look elsewhere. Maybe check out the almost open Fairfield Inn on H Street NW.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,527 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Hilton Garden Inn, Washington, DC

"Actually that neighborhood is changing quickly--if you blink, you'll miss out. There is a new Harris Teeter grocery store and a CVS right there, and an Au Bon Pain around the corner-"

Apparently I blinked and missed them. :) Where are they, on First St? I was just down there maybe 3 weeks ago helping a friend move into a new office and didn't see any of these!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Hilton Garden Inn, Washington, DC

@IrishFan: Yep, right at 1st and M. Both opened within the last month or two, I believe. The Harris Teeter is lovely.

Pottstown...
Level Contributor
68 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Hilton Garden Inn, Washington, DC

Thanks everyone for all your help. I am hoping to not spend more than $100 a night, for a weekend in May. Most of the hotels in the city have very expensive parking charges attached to them. I have never taken the metro, how hard is it? Is it safe? Really appreciate any hotel suggestions!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Hilton Garden Inn, Washington, DC

The Metro is extremely easy to use and extremely safe. I bet it would be the highlight of your 8 and 6 year olds' trip! Millions of tourists from all over the world visit DC and use the Metro to get around--you won't have any problem getting the hang of it.

What weekend in May? $100/night for 4+ people may be a tall order, but give your specific dates (e.g. Friday, May 20-Sunday, May 22) and this board may eb able to help. Check out the Americana Hotel in Arlington as a starter--basic but inexpensive.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New Hilton Garden Inn, Washington, DC

Your guidebook will likely have a section explaining how Metro works. If you don't have a guidebook, you will likely be able to find an explantion online.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Hilton Garden Inn, Washington, DC

Here's a primer on riding the Metro:

www.thecapitol.net/VisitingDC/metrorail.htm

Pottstown...
Level Contributor
68 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Hilton Garden Inn, Washington, DC

We are planning on traveling Fri. May 20th - Sun. May 22nd. We would need a hotel for 2 nights. Any suggestions on nice hotels near the metro, we could go up to $150 a night, if there wasn't a steep parking fee.