We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating Places: 22nd St NW

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Eating Places: 22nd St NW

I will be visiting DC with my 2 kids in April. Staying at Embassy Suites, 1250 22nd Street NW. Any advice on eating places around this area that are kind-friendly?

We plan to visit the zoo, aquarium, smithsonian space museum, and spy musuem. Any other recommendations? Some of these seem to be only a 15 minute walk from the hotel, so is it worth buying a metro pass for the week?

Gary

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,169 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating Places: 22nd St NW

None of those places are a 15 minute walk from the 22nd Street NW Embassy Suites. What is 15 minutes away are two Metro stations. Without knowing more about your plans, no one can say if a 7-day Metro pass is a good idea or not.

I would skip the aquarium here is DC. Very small and really kind of expensive for what you get to see. The National Aquarium you may have heard about is in Baltimore. It is very nice.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating Places: 22nd St NW

The Firefly has a kids menu. It's a good casual restaurant. There is also a chinese restaurant near you called Meiwah. There's a seafood restaurant called Grillfish that has a kids menu.

www.travelfunsave.com - my visit DC blog

Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating Places: 22nd St NW

The National Aquarium in DC is now part of the National Aquarium in Baltimore and the collections and facilities have been significantly upgraded since the merger. So, I wouldn't write it off. It can be a nice addition to a trip to Washington.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
142 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating Places: 22nd St NW

How old are your kids? The Spy Museum is better for teens than for young kids.

It's worth checking Groupon, Living Social, and Goldstar from now until your trip -- they occasionally have spy museum tickets for half price, Can also get some restaurant deals.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating Places: 22nd St NW

Thanks for all the advice. Kids are 12 and 5. We have 6 full days.

We're coming from Scotland, and arriving at Dulles. Looking at ways to get from the airport, the SuperShuttle seems the best bet? $112 for a round trip.

I'm sure we'll be busy during the day, and will take it easy at night. Unless anyone has advice for family evening entertainment?

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
142 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating Places: 22nd St NW

If you have multiple adults, I might suggest splitting up, and only taking the older child to the spy museum -- the 5 year old won't get much out of it. The aquarium might be a better match for the younger one.

The monument area shuts down at night, but if the weather is nice, Dupont Circle is great for just buying some ice cream or something and walking around and people-watching.

Washington
Level Contributor
524 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating Places: 22nd St NW

Georgetown is also nice for evening entertainment. There is a movie theater on K Street. There also are some clothing stores that a lot of kids like -- Urban Outfitters, H&M, for a little shopping. There also lots of upscale stores. There are many restaurants in Georgetown that go from cheap but good hamburgers like Five Guys, to really upscale and everything in between. Clyde's in Georgetown Park Mall is middle of the road and the food is very good. There are also several ice cream shops in Georgetown as well.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating Places: 22nd St NW

Stroll the monuments at night. American Indian Museum for lunch and visit, combine with National Botanical Garden. National Building Museum has a Lego exhibit, with Lego play area adjacent, and skyscraper renditions that those 12 and older will enjoy as well. Combine with Chinatown dining (Burma Restaurant).

9. Re: Eating Places: 22nd St NW

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 02:19