We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need hotel advice for kids using wheelchairs

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
116 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Need hotel advice for kids using wheelchairs

Hi, my family is planning on a weekend trip to DC the first weekend in April. We have 3 kids, ages 5, 7 and 11. Two of our kids will be using wheelchairs for touring. I would like a hotel that's within a block or two of a Metro stop, in a neighborhood that would be safe in the evening for dining, shops, etc...

Our priorities for the weekend are the Air and Space Museum, and the Lincoln memorial, Washington Monument. We are open to suggestions for anything else.

Thanks!

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need hotel advice for kids using wheelchairs

The Hyatt in Bethesda MD is directly atop that Metro station, although you'd have to roll appx. 100 feet down the sidewalk if you needed to take an elevator rather than escalator to the Metro platform. The neighborhood would fit your needs, and there are other nearby hotels as well.

Mentioned in this post
Bethesda
Bethesda
Montgomery County, MD
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
3,004 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need hotel advice for kids using wheelchairs

You don't specify budget, so I'll assume you are looking for a moderate hotel, but be warned that for your weekend prices are very high because of the Cherry Blossoms. Please note you may also have a lot of pedestrian traffic around the Memorials because of Cherry Blossom visitors; sidewalks could be challenging to navigate. I could not find a downtown hotel for under $250 that would meet your needs. If you head to Virginia, the Residence Inn by Marriott Arlington Courthouse should work. it's a bit over $200 a night.

Omaha
Level Contributor
267 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need hotel advice for kids using wheelchairs

Hi - my niece, now 15, did DC via wheelchair a few years ago, and my sister's family stayed at the Marriott Metro Center . They found it very convenient. They also had the concierge arrange wheelchair rental from (Brown's?) which was delivered directly to the hotel. Another option might be the Embassy Suites or Hilton Alexandria. They are both directly across the street from the King Street station. We've stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn closeby, and it's a good two block walk. I believe a cab is under $5 from the hotel to the Metro, if you don't want to do the walk. The area there is kind of office complex with restaurants scattered around the buildings. There is a very convenient Whole Foods, so you can get takeout from their buffets. It's a little farther out that Arlington Courthouse but it has good proximity to the Metro.

Mentioned in this post
Whole Foods
Whole Foods
15 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
4. Re: Need hotel advice for kids using wheelchairs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 07:16