We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ne regional sale

Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
ne regional sale

Right no it is on sale $49 each way dc-ny. Can't book by tomorrow when the sale end. Will it be that cheap/on sale again before july. I have never used the train before, and do not know pricing trends. Thanks

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ne regional sale

I don't know, but you can count on the Megabus and other busses staying cheaper than that, so the only real question here is an extra hour or so each way.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,427 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ne regional sale

In the NE corridor, Amtrak prices vary according to demand, sort of like with the airlines. So the earlier you make your reservation, the cheaper the price is likely to be. And trains that business uses to get to a morning meeting in NYC, for instance, will likely be more expensive than a train later in the morning. And vice versa coming back from NYC.

Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ne regional sale

Thinking about taking the train to new york and the bus back for the experience of both and I hate getting stuck in traffic on the way to new york

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ne regional sale

$49 is the lowest sale price I have heard for that route, so you probably should not expect it to go any lower. Amtrak sales are not predictable, IMHO.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,153 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ne regional sale

I hate getting stuck in traffic, too. So...for that reason, perhaps you should reconsider taking the bus as it is just as prone to getting stuck in traffic as all the cars and trucks on the road...

Just keep an eye on Amtrak to see if they offer up more sales. Also, regional trains to NYC and beyond are very popular. Make sure you get to Union Station in plenty of time to board. I'm always amazed at how long the lines are for the regional trains!

Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ne regional sale

Thanks, wasn't looking for lower, just hope I will be able to get that price when I am ready to book

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ne regional sale

Where did you see the regional sale will end tomorrow?

I see two different sales for the NY to Washington route, both with 14 days advance purchase for the same 25% off. One is the Cherry Blossom festival sale which requires purchases by March 27 for travel through April 10. (This does not give you too many travel date choices, once you take the 14 days advance purchase requirement into consideration)

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

The other one is the NE Regional sale with the same 25% off. The one has no end day specified in the ad. I suppose it ends when Amtrak decides it should end. The blackout dates listed include January 2, 2012. This seems to imply the travel dates can be through the end of this year, as long as you purchase the ticket before Amtrak yanks the ad.

www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer…

8. Re: ne regional sale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 12:18