We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip to Dc April 16-21. Questions galore????

Boston,Mass
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Family trip to Dc April 16-21. Questions galore????

We will be in Washington on April 16 - 21st and I was wondering if any one could suggest family type restaurants that will not break the bank. We are staying at the Grand Hyatt on H Street.

Also any suggestions on what to see or do would be appreciated. We are planning on a couple of the musuems and monuments and the zoo and we have a Capitol tour set up. Any other ideas??

Neenah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
312 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip to Dc April 16-21. Questions galore????

too many ideas! We are here 5 full days. I knew we couldn't see EVERYTHING, but I thought we could see the major things. Nope! If your kids are old enough, have them look things up and pick one or two things they can't miss. You would probably add a couple things too, and then you're done! I have tried to stay with the classic DC stuff for their first time. We metro'd but mostly walked. I guess we would have saved lots of time if we used tourmobile or similar bus. But I think it's part of the city experience.

One of my kids MUST see the Library of Congress, for whatever reason. Going to the top of the Washington Monument was a highlight for all of us. One kid is desperate to get to the National Building Museum, and International Spy Museum, and we'll try to get him to one tomorrow, but I just told him those were less important than other priorities. For my daughter, the Jr Ranger program was the highlight, so if your kids like that stuff, stop by the very non-descript ranger station by the Washington Monument (just ask the rangers near the monument or at the ticket booth where it is) early in your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Library of Congress
Library of Congress
7,921 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington Monument
Washington Monument
8,162 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
National Building Museum
National Building Museum
581 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
International Spy Museum
International Spy Museum
4,626 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
650 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip to Dc April 16-21. Questions galore????

For activities... you didn't say how old your kids are, but first day you should arrange a city tour. I like DC Ducks, which is both informative and fun - amphibious WW II vehicles let you see DC from both land and sea (Potomac River). For discounted eating, try restaurant.com - $25 gift certificates for $2 or $3 all over the city (google promo code), just check out the restaurant reviews here. Ethiopian food is always a fun and delicious event. Meskerem in Adams Morgan or Zed in Georgetown if you're already touring those areas.

Mentioned in this post
Potomac River
Potomac River
264 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Adams Morgan
Adams Morgan
118 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Georgetown
Georgetown
2,529 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip to Dc April 16-21. Questions galore????

Your hotel isn't far from Chinatown, which has numerous family-friendly dining options (and not only Asian ones). I'd recommend Burma Restaurant and Tony Cheng's. Katy-corner from your hotel, Capitol Brewery on NY Ave. If kids are well-behaved, the National Museum of Women in the Arts nearby has an upscale restaurant with good atmosphere, a relative bargain for the setting. On the Mall, the American Indian Museum food court. Also head up to Adams Morgan (or another neighborhood to which they've spread) and check out some Ethiopian. If that goes over, then try Ghana Cafe on 14th St. And, of course, at some point you can give in to the McD's at 13th & NY, which is a nice one.

Mentioned in this post
Adams Morgan
Adams Morgan
118 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Boston,Mass
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Family trip to Dc April 16-21. Questions galore????

Sorry!!! I did not mention that my boys are ages 8-10. This is their first trip to Dc so we want to let them see as much as possible. They are going to want to see everything I am sure.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family trip to Dc April 16-21. Questions galore????

Near your hotel, I'd recommend Ella's Woodfired Pizza, Austin Grill, Matchbox and Clyde's. A few blocks further away, closer to the White House, is Old Ebbitt Grill, owned by the same people as Clyde's, and a DC institution.

For me, the not-to-miss sites with 8-10 y.o. boys would be:

Air and Space Museum

Natural History Museum

The National Zoo

American History Museum

Bureau of Engraving and Printing

A trip to the top of the Old Post Office Pavilion Bell Tower for a bird's eye view of the city.

Spy Museum and Newseum are pricey and your kids may be too young, but definitely look into them and consider whether they're right for your family.

Obviously there are tons of other sites and things to do, but those would top my list. Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
White House
White House
6,862 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Old Ebbitt Grill
Old Ebbitt Grill
10,475 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Old Post Office Pavilion
Old Post Office Pavilion
497 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Newseum
Newseum
7,916 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
6. Re: Family trip to Dc April 16-21. Questions galore????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 12:16