We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help determining a budget location and accessibility

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Karachi
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Need help determining a budget location and accessibility

Hi all,

I am planning to reach DC on the 17th of July and will stay 1-2 night, not sure of the 2nd night right now, might leave the 2nd day for NYC.

I am 27 and with my wife. 1st visit to DC. Coming to DC mainly for the main attractions, like monuments, a couple of museums, and anyother attractions that are close by. See things by the tour buses, maybe hop around the shopping district for the feel of it, get to feel the character of DC. Do not intend to plan anything for the outskirts or any other day long plans, just to spend the days within the districts main tourist areas...

Now for what I need help on:

My budget for a stay is around a $100/night max, would prefer something around $80 actually. From what I can get after going through the hotel reviews and their profiles is that they go well beyond $ 100. Are there options within the main DC area like Dupont, Mall, Georgetown or such closer areas, for hotels/B&Bs/Motels/Inns with lower rates.

If not, then what would be a farther area with such facilities but also close to Metros or right public transport that could get me to the attractions area. Need suggestions on the area/location and even hotels etc that would be in that range and advisable, and the public transportation that is close by to use. Wat would be the typical routes to use form the suggested areas.

Also, for going onwards to NYC, actually Stamford is where I will be staying and will be commuting to NYC from there. Whats the recommended mode of transport, like train or bus, their reliability, travel time and approx cost to Stamford.

I know thats a lot but would really help.

Neenah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
302 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help determining a budget location and accessibility

I doubt you can find anything in the summer in the city for $80. Check a general site like hotels.com daily. Each chain will occasionally have a sale. If you do a search with 'downtown' as a criterium, you will be able to see how far each hotel is from the city. We stayed in Arlington, in the Crystal City area. Very convenient to metro. You just have to check each hotel individually once you are interested, to see how far a metro is. The MD suburbs also have less expensive hotels; search the same way.

As for Stamford, you will take the MetroNorth train to the city. But post on their forum. I lived there years ago; much may have changed.

Karachi
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help determining a budget location and accessibility

Thanks, will keep a lookout.

3. Re: Need help determining a budget location and accessibility

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 03:19