We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long is wait at Supreme Court?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
339 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
How long is wait at Supreme Court?

We're going next month, and there's no cases being heard that week. We were given a tour time, but it's not going to work as it conflicts, and they say they can't move it to a different day... So... we're looking into just walking up another day.

What will the wait be like? It'd be a weekday, 2nd week of April.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long is wait at Supreme Court?

Well it took Walmart 10 years to get there according to today's paper. Your wait will be shorter. hard to say since there are still many school vacations in DC. May want to try and get there for the earliest tour.

Neenah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
303 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long is wait at Supreme Court?

There aren't really tours. They let you into the courtroom, and you sit in the 'pews,' while you listen to a talk about the courtroom. When we were there last week, we arrived at about 1220 for the 1230 lecture and got in without problem. If you don't catch a talk, you can still look into the courtroom. Either way, you are not allowed to walk around in there.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
339 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long is wait at Supreme Court?

Thanks for the info - we'll try to make the first one of the day, and will go there maybe 30-45 early just to make sure.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
41 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long is wait at Supreme Court?

I'm a docent at the Court and Nancy is correct. The "tours" are courtroom lectures. The 2:00 "congressional tour" is identical to the public tours; the only difference is congressional tours are prearranged and you are guaranteed a seat. Public tours are first-come, first-seated. They are given every hour, on the half hour, with the last one at 3:30. You should be fine getting there 30 minutes early; the only possibility is if there is a large school group in front of you. Feel free to send me a private message if you have any specific questions about visiting the Court.

Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long is wait at Supreme Court?

Thanks SueCav for the info! Hopefully we will be able to get into a "lecture" in about 2 weeks!

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
41 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long is wait at Supreme Court?

You're welcome. I hope you have a good trip -- and let's hope there is no government shutdown to impact your plans.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
357 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long is wait at Supreme Court?

Would the tours be available on Good Friday?

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
41 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long is wait at Supreme Court?

Yes, tours are available Good Friday.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
41 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long is wait at Supreme Court?

One more thing...be sure to check the lecture schedule online before you head out: supremecourt.gov/visiting/touringthebuilding… There are some occasions where lectures are canceled the night before for various Court events.

And as far as a possible government shutdown, the Smithsonian museums and most government buildings will definitely be closed. The Court has not announced what its plan will be, but I'll post here when I receive word.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
41 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long is wait at Supreme Court?

Just wanted you all to know that I just received official word from the Court that it will remain OPEN next week in the event of a government shutdown. However, if the government is shut down more than a week, it is unclear if the Court will remain open or not. In the event that is the case, I will post whatever information that I have.