We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How soon after 4/8 would gov. shutdown begin?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How soon after 4/8 would gov. shutdown begin?

Would anyone with more insight than I into the workings of the government be able to estimate when a government shutdown would begin if the budget is not approved on April 8? We're hoping for a trip to the Smithsonian on the 21st and 22nd of April, but the bozos we bozos elected may prefer we stay home. Thanks a lot.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,748 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How soon after 4/8 would gov. shutdown begin?

April 9th.

Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How soon after 4/8 would gov. shutdown begin?

Thanks for the quick response. I guess they already have enough practice to dispense with lead time.

Boston
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How soon after 4/8 would gov. shutdown begin?

Sorry to steal your post but I will be arriving April 8th and leaving the 11th. How exactly is this going to affect my trip?

Boston
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How soon after 4/8 would gov. shutdown begin?

Sorry to steal your post but I will be arriving April 8th and leaving the 11th. How exactly is this going to affect my trip?

Level Contributor
2,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How soon after 4/8 would gov. shutdown begin?

How will it affect your trip? It won't. If there is an actual shutdown, it will mean absolutely nothing to most tourists. Keep in mind there has been no actual approved budget since 2008!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How soon after 4/8 would gov. shutdown begin?

This was recently discussed in another topic. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28970-i40-k426409…

It will close down museums that are not private, so yes, it may affect some things tourists typically do.

Edited: 31 March 2011, 10:09
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How soon after 4/8 would gov. shutdown begin?

If you care about the Smithsonian or any govt. buildings, it will greatly affect your trip. I presume the National Zoo would be closed as well.

Boston
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How soon after 4/8 would gov. shutdown begin?

What is a trip to DC without visiting the Smithsonian!!?!?

Let's be realistic, is this truly possible or just some smoke blowin'?

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How soon after 4/8 would gov. shutdown begin?

There have been some suggestions that even if a shutdown occurs, highly visible services like the Smithsonian would get special funding. But that and everything else is uncertain. As a very wise man once observed, the outcome of brinksmanship is difficult to predict:

"On the occasion corresponding to this four years ago all thoughts were anxiously directed to an impending civil war. All dreaded it, all sought to avert it. While the inaugural address was being delivered from this place, devoted altogether to saving the Union without war, insurgent agents were in the city seeking to destroy it without war—seeking to dissolve the Union and divide effects by negotiation. Both parties deprecated war, but one of them would make war rather than let the nation survive, and the other would accept war rather than let it perish, and the war came."

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,613 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How soon after 4/8 would gov. shutdown begin?

Given the level of stupidity already shown by this Congress, YES, it is certainly possible. There is a Tea Party rally today that shows no signs of accepting any compromise. It's their way or else. Does that sound like a spoiled child or what?

If it does happen it will have a big effect on what tourists can do, with all the government-run museums and venues shut down. There are still some private museums, etc, so a tourist will not have to sit around and twiddle their thumbs, but it certainly won't be the visit to DC they expected.