We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest time hotel wise in July or August?

Fairfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
201 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest time hotel wise in July or August?

The Megabus is opening a location in my city and while it would take 12 hours and a bus change I can go to DC and back with my 10 year old for only $10.50. this really has my attention because I'd love to show her the city. I'm thinking 3 days in DC and we lose 2 for travel so I need 4 nights in a hotel. I need a place that is safe and in the center since we would have no car. I'm just wondering if anyone knows a time period thats best to check during July and august? I'm not tied to any dates just that time frame. I need to keep costs down as much as possible because m husband is already upset and thinks its unsafe for me to go alone with our daughter to DC. thanks for any suggestions.

Beaufort, South...
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,283 posts
365 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest time hotel wise in July or August?

It would really help if you could put a price range for "keeping costs down". It's difficult to give you suggestions having no idea what your limit is. One site that you can check periodically is www.travelzoo.com Basically this site searches the web for you to give you the latest deals offered in various cities.

We live 30 miles away from DC and often use this site to find the best priced hotels. Many times we were able to get a nice place for around $100.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest time hotel wise in July or August?

People tend to leave DC during August more than during July. My guess is that if there's a hotel pricing difference, August might be lower, but I also would expect that your best deals would be through advance bookings for which there would be no pricing difference between those months. All this is just guessing; mainly, I'd try putting some non-binding queries into places like travelzoo to see.

You DON"T need to stay in the center, and probably shouldn't with a low budget. What you should look for is a budget hotel located near a Metro station. Lots of past threads on that in this forum -- start with the 3d FAQ in the upper right corner of your screen, then try the search box

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest time hotel wise in July or August?

Don't let your husband deter you! I think lots of people have an image of how DC was many years ago. Certainly the city has it's share of crime like all urban areas, but millions of woman and children safely visit the city annually and enjoy themselves,.

I took a look at a few random dates in July and August and was surprised to see the rates weren't as low as I expected. Probably closer to those dates, if rooms are still available, the rates will go down to fill them up. Most of the rates I found were in the $150 range for a good hotel in a good location. I would say a place around Dupont Circle/Woodley Park would be a nice area for you, so keep an eye out for hotel deals there. Holiday Inn Rosslyn or Doubletree Crystal City are two hotels I found in this range. They are just outside the city in safe neighborhoods, convenient to metro. From the Holiday Inn you could even walk to Georgetown in the evening.

Be very careful when booking and definitely check back if you think you find a good deal so you can get a opinions on whether it's really as good a location or deal as you think. I'd also recommend getting a couple of guidebooks and reading up with your daughter on the things you'll want to see. In three days, you'll definitely need to narrow down your choices.

Hope this helps!

4. Re: Cheapest time hotel wise in July or August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 23:19