We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Around the DC area? What do you recommend?

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
32 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Around the DC area? What do you recommend?

My husband and I are coming from out of the country and have 10 days which appear to be a lot of days for DC proper. We're thinking of doing 5 days in DC and 5 somewhere else. We are looking at the Shenandoah Valley or maybe a beach area. Maybe rent a cottage in one of these places. Anyone have experience with this? any recommendations?

Columbia, MD
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Around the DC area? What do you recommend?

10 days is probably too many to spend in DC. 4 or 5 days will be plenty. As for what else to do, it depends on what you want. To me it sounds like you want to spend some relaxing time in the mountains or at the beach. What time of year?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Around the DC area? What do you recommend?

Virginia- Luray Caverns and Natural Bridge, Williamsburg and Jamestown, Skyline Drive, Norfolk and Virginia Beach, Civil War history tour throughout the state starting in Richmond

Maryland- Annapolis, Ocean City

Pennsylvania- Amish country, Philadelphia

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Around the DC area? What do you recommend?

Coming from Cancun, I don't think you'll be impressed by any of our beaches. 5 days in DC sounds about right, but for the rest, I'd go with either Philly/NY or the mountains. Check VRBO.com or the vacation rental link in upper left of your screen.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Around the DC area? What do you recommend?

Shenandoah's a nice place to rent a cabin or small house. Assuming you're coming during warm weather, there's canoeing, tubing and rivers and lakes for swimming. There's also hiking, wine tasting, horseback riding, antiquing. If any of those appeal to you, the Shenandoah Valley should fit the bill. Enjoy.

5. Re: Around the DC area? What do you recommend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 01:20