We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we plan last minute 4/19-23 trip to DC?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
massachusetts
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Should we plan last minute 4/19-23 trip to DC?

Hi - I was just notified yesterday that our approval for a White House tour was accepted. I have not done any planning. Rooms are double what we paid last year at the same hotel (JW Marriott) and airfare is no bargain either. I am torn to pass up the tour since it is over $1500 in airfare (for our family of 5) and we will have to stay at a different hotel (which means I have to do more legwork). It is going to be a lot more money than I anticipated.

Any thoughts?

Like, don't bother coming down because the budget is so messed up no museums will be open anyway? (and WH tours will be cancelled too)

or

Don't be silly White House tours are once in a lifetime?

Any help - thanks.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we plan last minute 4/19-23 trip to DC?

Well my trip overlaps part of the dates you are looking at. Since I already booked my airfare, (and trip insurance will not cover cancelling because the politicians are too busy pontificating) I will be going to DC regardless.

However, if I lived in Mass, I would book a cancellable hotel, and drive if the shutdown is shelved. $1500 is a lot for airfare if you can drive reasonably easily.

The Key Bridge Marriott is $107 AAA for your dates (or $95 if you sign up as a Marriott member, which is free). You can cancel up to the 24 hours in advance normally. Crystal City Marriott is also between $120 - $140 depending upon which rate you choose.

I can't tell you if the White House is worth it as I can't get in!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,588 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we plan last minute 4/19-23 trip to DC?

How much would Amtrak tickets be? It is a lovely ride from Boston to DC, though it takes most of the day. Of course, the plane ride takes maybe 5 hours when you add in getting to the airport in time to go through security. Maybe Manchester, NH is easier than Logan. Don't know what part of Massachusetts you are coming from.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,649 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we plan last minute 4/19-23 trip to DC?

Having done the White House tour, I can say that it's definitely NOT worth $1500 in airfare and a big chunk of change for the hotel.

I don't know what rabbits Congress may pull out of its hat, but if I had not paid for flights or hotels yet, I would probably skip D.C. this weekend.

london
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we plan last minute 4/19-23 trip to DC?

We are coming to DC that weekend. We are coming from London, all booked and paid for. Whats happenning that weekend. Are the museums going to be closed??

Edited: 06 April 2011, 22:04
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we plan last minute 4/19-23 trip to DC?

Kami, if the US Government is closed then (it might or might not, no one knows for sure or if they do they are not talking) all of the Smithsonian museums will be closed, as will the Capitol Visitors Center, White House tours, going up inside the Washington monument, etc. There are other threads on that...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we plan last minute 4/19-23 trip to DC?

I wouldn't come-not with this possible shutdown. News this afternoon is they may pass a one week extension tomorrow, so that means we wait around another week to see what happens.

I am sure you can get a WH tour again.

Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we plan last minute 4/19-23 trip to DC?

This government situation is horrible! With my luck they will shutdown after the 1 week extension... the day before I will be arriving there! Oh well, our group will still manage to have fun. Trying to think positive that those politicians can work together to get something done! :-)

massachusetts
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we plan last minute 4/19-23 trip to DC?

It is a lovely train ride, we did it last Memorial Day weekend (for $1200). This year Amtrack is charging more than last year. It actually exceeds the airline tix. I overruled air fare last year because I HATE the security lines, etc. But this year, we have to get down after work closes for the day, and be there before our 9am scheduled time on Wednesday. So for us air is the only way (my spouse will not drive).

Its a good thought though...thanks for your help.

massachusetts
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we plan last minute 4/19-23 trip to DC?

thanks a million for all your input. we decided to just wait a few more days and see what our esteemed gov't does...everything is just up in the air for a while.

Thank you!

10. Re: Should we plan last minute 4/19-23 trip to DC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 01:15