We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DC Confusion

rochester, mn
Level Contributor
81 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
DC Confusion

Family of 5 heading to DC July 12th for 5-6 days. We don't know if we should get a rental car or depend on public transportation. If we are using public transportation, where should we stay....only real requirements are pool, continental bfast, reasonable priced.

We will do the monuments, museums, White House...any other must see's?

Then we are considering couple days heading north....kids would love to see Carlo's Bakery in Hoboken. What kind of traffic would we be encountering? We would probably make a stop in Philadelphia, Baltimore and NYC. Again, where to stay?

Any help would be appreciated. I have looked thru some of the forums but since I am not at all familiar with the area most of the posts just confuse me more!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,662 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DC Confusion

Driving north would be a lot of traffic. I live in the DC area and would not do it for fun!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,074 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DC Confusion

A car is a liability for most visitors to DC. Overnight parking is expensive at most hotels. If you have been reading this forum, you should know that without a budget number you will not get any specific suggestions. Reasonable means nothing. $200 a night is pretty reasonable around here. There is a topic up in the upper right on this page under Top Questions that lists DC hotels with pools. All do not have breakfast though. You need to figure out a few hotels that look like they will work for you and come back with more specific questions.

rochester, mn
Level Contributor
81 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DC Confusion

As far as driving north not being fun...do you mean that traffic is so bad that it will take a long time, or that it is confusing, or what? When I did mapquest it made it look like about a 4 hr drive to Hoboken...True??

rochester, mn
Level Contributor
81 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DC Confusion

As far as hotels, we would not want to spend over $200 per night. I will look over the list posted...thanks

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DC Confusion

Hoboken drive's not confusing, just congested if you go at a peak time (i.e. if you hit any morning or evening rush hours or mid-day on a weekend). Four hours is about right if uncongested, figure 5-6 if congested. That's for the I-95/NJ Turnpike route. For a less congested but longer-distance drive, you can take one of the Pennsylvania routes, like I-270 to Rt. 15 to Harrisburg then on to I-78.

D.C. has some good public pools, like the new indoor one at Wilson High School, if that widens your hotel options.

massachusetts
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DC Confusion

thanks a million for all your input. we decided to just wait a few more days and see what our esteemed gov't does...everything is just up in the air for a while.

Thank you!

Edited: 07 April 2011, 16:52
massachusetts
Level Contributor
17 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DC Confusion

my mistake

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DC Confusion

If you're into bakeries on TV you can also stop at Georgetown Cupcake which is on the show DC Cupcakes. The shop is right on M Street in Georgetown but beware of pretty long lines.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,662 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DC Confusion

I meant congested and nerve-wracking. I don;t even go sailing in Annapolis anymore because the traffic is so bad now, as compared to 15 years ago.

rochester, mn
Level Contributor
81 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DC Confusion

We are considering the Hampton Inn Suites Reagan National for our stay. Anyone have any feedback? Reviews looked pretty decent, like that there is pool, deluxe continental bfast and airport shuttle. It says that there is a Metro station 2 blocks away...true? What will the costs be to ride the Metro to the monuments/memorials? Do you buy tickets for exact times or is it more of a pass?