We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I get a pre-paid Sim card for my Iphone?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Where can I get a pre-paid Sim card for my Iphone?

Hey guys, I just landed in DC and will be in the USA for a few months so I wanted to get a US Sim card for my iphone, where in DC can I get this? Im staying near the Metro Center Station

cheers

United States of...
Level Contributor
128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I get a pre-paid Sim card for my Iphone?

you could try a T-Mobile store. There's one nearby at 555 11th Street NW, near the intersection of 11th and E.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I get a pre-paid Sim card for my Iphone?

Maybe I'm a dope, but wouldn't Verizon or AT&T be the places to go for iPhone since they are the carriers that serve it? Not T-Mobile?

United States of...
Level Contributor
128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I get a pre-paid Sim card for my Iphone?

SIM cards are associated with GSM phones. Verizon phones utilize CDMA, a different type of technology.

AT&T uses GSM. There's an AT&T location at 1201 F Street NW. But I'm not as familiar if AT&T offers prepaid SIM cards like T-Mobile does, but since the store is nearby give it a shot.

iPhones are often "locked", or restricted for use with a certain carrier. The OP would have already needed to unlock his/her phone is Australia to allow it for use on other carriers, so that it could be used on either AT&T or T-Mobile.

I guess one other consideration would be which 3G data frequencies are used in Australia. AT&T and T-Mobile use different 3G frequencies here in the US; perhaps if either company uses the same 3G standard as the Australian carrier that might be a better solution.

Edited: 08 April 2011, 21:47
australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I get a pre-paid Sim card for my Iphone?

Hey guys, my phone is UNLOCKED.

I went and saw T-Mobile but they only have the normal sims not the mirco-sim cards needed for the iphone4. AT&T had the sims but no data option which is all I really want it for.

Surely you must be able to get a SIM somewhere, any suggestions?

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can I get a pre-paid Sim card for my Iphone?

If both T-Mobile and AT&T do not have what you need, then I think your chances of using your Iphone in the US are very slim. For the longest time, Apple decided to sell Iphone only thru AT&T, so no other carriers would have any reason to offer Sim card for phones they do not carry. Apple has just let Verizon sell I phone recently, but it is a different version that does not use Sim card.

Your best bet may be to put aside the Iphone, and buy a cheap disposable phone with prepaid plans, such as Virgin Mobile. You can have a selection at a big box retailer such as Best Buy. Some of those phones are really cheap, around $20 or so. You can then buy minutes to load onto them.

Edited: 09 April 2011, 12:39
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,746 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can I get a pre-paid Sim card for my Iphone?

This could be a challenging find at a local phone shop. As noted earlier, T-Mobile and AT&T are the primary GSM providers. Check Amazon.com. I'm 99.9% sure you can purchase a prepaid AT&T microsim there.

Petach Tikva
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can I get a pre-paid Sim card for my Iphone?

I coming to the US myslef next week and need this kind of SIM for my Iphone.

If you managed to find a solution like that please let me know as I have some people close to DC that can buy that for me.

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Where can I get a pre-paid Sim card for my Iphone?

I have used a walmart Go-Phone prepaid sim card with an iPhone. Unfortunately I only did this for the minutes as a backup for my grandpa and not for the data portion. So if you want to use prepaid minutes on your iPhone, you can purchase a prepaid phone and swap out the sim. Then just purchase the prepaid gift cards seen everywhere and it works fine. Not sure how you could go about it for data though...

9. Re: Where can I get a pre-paid Sim card for my Iphone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 May 2011, 13:35
Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Where can I get a pre-paid Sim card for my Iphone?

Re : Using your australian phone overseas. Vodaphone unlocked my phone .....NO Charge. Or you can do it online!.. Nokia N-8 and I simply bought a prepaid card from AT&T for $25.......on arrival in US Text back to Aus .25 in & out. Us texts .10..... I didnt use a lot of voice call in the US but it didnt appear to be too bad. Easy to recharge on line or on the phone.Also used the phone in Canada same cost. This was the best service , I have tried other carrier on previous trips and had hiccups. However if you dont use the number for 30 days it cuts off. In the netherlands I use a KPN with similar results however as long as you send yourself a text every couple of months the sim card stays active.