We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DC with Kids for a 3 Day Weekend

New Haven...
Level Contributor
70 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
DC with Kids for a 3 Day Weekend

What are your must do's and when to do them?

We are there Sat, Sun and Monday.

I have a list - but wanted to know your opinions.

Columbia, MD
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DC with Kids for a 3 Day Weekend

What's your list and what is the age of your kids? You seem to have put some thought into what you want to see. No one else can tell you what is a "must do". You know your kids interests and only you can decide that. But we can provide feedback on what you have selected and based on your list maybe recommend some other things.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,608 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DC with Kids for a 3 Day Weekend

Must do's are a very personal thing. I think the National Gallery of Art is a must do, but it seems almost no one planning a trip to DC includes it. I think the Spy Museum is a waste of time & money, but it is often included in other people's itinerary. Your question is just too non-specific. And without knowing the ages of your children, impossible to really answer.

work
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DC with Kids for a 3 Day Weekend

I am taking my 12 year old grandson to DC next week. He is lively and into sports, but I want him to experience our Nation's Capital. Does anyone have any suggestions of what they know their kids or 12 year olds enjoyed?

Thanks!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,535 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DC with Kids for a 3 Day Weekend

Well, the obvious choice for a 12-year-old interested in sports is baseball. The Washington Nationals will be playing on the afternoon of Sunday, April 17th and the minor league Potomac Nationals are playing on Monday night (if you are still here). It's easy to get to Nationals Stadium via Metro (go to the Navy Yard stop on the Green Line) to see the Washington Nationals play. The Potomac Nationals play in Woodbridge, Virginia and I don't know how you would get there if you don't have a car.

Also, if you have a car, your grandson might enjoy the Smithsonian's Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum near Dulles Airport. (Admission is free but there is a $15 fee for parking). This museum has a lot of the BIG stuff, including the space shuttle Enterprise, and flight simulators ($). My nephews loved the flight simulators.

Edited: 13 April 2011, 20:01
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,535 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DC with Kids for a 3 Day Weekend

Ah, I see now that we have 2 different people asking about visiting D.C. with kids next week. Well, I only mentioned the Potomac Nationals playing on Monday night because I was responding to the OP's dates. They are, in fact, playing not only on Monday, also on Tuesday and Wednesday (April 18 - 20). Perhaps that will help out Lily1910.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DC with Kids for a 3 Day Weekend

Don't underestimate a 12-year-old's interest in the National Mall, though I'd lean to monuments over museums. If he hasn't seen them yet, I'd include at least some of the west-end-of-Mall monuments, esp. FDR, Lincoln, and Vietnam, and, if you can get there easily, T.R. Island.

Columbia, MD
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DC with Kids for a 3 Day Weekend

To Lily1910:

12 yr old boy into sports - obviously take in a Nationals game.

As to experiencing the capitol - take in the monuments, visit the capital - but if you want a tour of the capital, get reservations from your congressman otherwise you will be spending valuable time in a potentially long line.

For a 12 year old the Air and Space museum, natural history museum, American history museum - in that order. As someone else has mentioned - the Udvar-Hazy air and space museum annex at Dulles airport if you have the time and transportation.

South Jersey and...
Level Contributor
63 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DC with Kids for a 3 Day Weekend

You can't beat a walk around the monuments for keeping a lively boy busy! Also a stop at Ford theater where Lincoln was shot is really intriguing for kids (and adults)...and its not too far from the White House.

My kids also loved visiting Mount Vernon about two years ago at ages 12, 10 and 8. There is a great visitors center with a fun 4D movie, plus a few others that are interesting, a display of Washington's teeth and a whole farm to explore...not to mention the house and the vistas. Before going, have him watch National Treasure (I think, #2) to maximize the experience.

All kids are different, but take a look at the websites for the Smithsonian's Natural History, American History and Air and Space museums to see what peeks your interest. My kids were done with each of them in about 1-2 hours or so, but the loved the Udvar-Hazy museum in Dulles with its huge scale displays of historic aircraft and space artifacts, plus an air traffic control tower. But it is really another full day trip outside of town.

For sports, I second a Nationals game. But also, my 14-year old son is looking forward to seeing the Sports reporting exhibit at the Newseum next weekend. I am looking forward to the other exhibits, many of which are interactive.

9. Re: DC with Kids for a 3 Day Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 10:21