We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 day Itinerary: Feedback Appreciated! Thanks :-)

London, England
Level Contributor
68 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
4 day Itinerary: Feedback Appreciated! Thanks :-)

Hi Everyone

I have just pulled together our itinerary for our visit in July. We have 4 full days in DC and would like to get as much out of our time without racing from one site to another. Therefore, would it be possible to provide feedback on my proposal please? Really interested to know if I am being realistic and if I have grouped activities together logically. Am I missing a gem? Any recommendations for dinner or lunch would be greatly appreciated too.

Finally, if I wanted to go to Frederick Douglass National Site, on what day would it make sense to go or do I simply not have time?

As always, a BIG thank you for your help.

Monday 11th July

Arrive in Washington at 18:45 by train

Dinner

Tuesday 12th July

08:00 - 11:00 Arlington Cemetery

11:00 - 12:00 Walk across the Memorial Bridge to the Lincoln Memorial

12:00 - 13:00 Lunch

14:00 - 14:30 Washington Monument (need to book on line)

15:00 - 18:30 Newseum

19:00- 21:00 DC by Foot (More than Monuments) - already booked

Wednesday 13th July

09:00 Capitol Tour - already booked

11:30 The White House - as an UK citizen I could not tour the White House :-(

13:30 Lunch

14:30 U.S Supreme Court

16:00 to 19:30 National Museum of American History

Thursday 14th July

Mount Vernon

Stop by Old Town Alexandra

Friday 15th July - 22:00 flight leaves DC

11:00 Holocaust Memorial Museum - already booked

Ford's Theatre and Lincoln's Cottage

22:00 Fly home :-(

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
142 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 day Itinerary: Feedback Appreciated! Thanks :-)

The first couple of days are a lot of walking -- and it can be miserably hot and humid. It's doable, but bring water. Probably makes sense to do the Supreme Court and the Capitol together, as they are right next to each other (and at the other end of the Mall from the White House).

The 11th is the last day of the folklife festival. It's a lot of fun, but will also be crowded and slow you down a bit:

www.festival.si.edu/visitor/schedule.aspx

Ohio
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 day Itinerary: Feedback Appreciated! Thanks :-)

Hi!

I just got back from visiting DC (we visited Arlington, and the city of DC so I'm not familiar with anything outside of that). From what I can tell your itinerary looks reasonable - enough to do without rushing around.

Here are my recommendations to your schedule:

Tues 7/12:

After going to the Lincoln memorial walk to the Vietnam and Korean War memorials (close by). Just so you know the reflecting pool is closed for renovations. Head towards the Washington monument and check out the WWII memorial along the way. Then go to the American History museum (since it's closer than the Newseum) and finish with the walking tour which meets close to the American History museum.

Wed 7/13:

I would recommend going to the Library of Congress - Thomas Jefferson building as the interior is amazing. Since you are going on the Capital tour there is a tunnel you can take directly from there to the Library of Congress (you avoid going through security again). The Supreme Court is right next door to the Library of Congress and it has a cafe with good food at decent prices (I had got a rice bowl with vegetables, and salmon for $6.25 - they have a good selection of sandwiches, soups, etc). Then you can finish at the Newseum (since it's closer than the American History museusm).

Fri 7/15:

If you would like some more pics of front/back of the White House, stop there before heading over to Ford's Theater.

As far as a gem that you are missing... that depends on your tastes. I liked the National Gallery of Art and the National Portrait Gallery even though I normally do not like "art museums". The Natural History museum and Air & Space museum are also popular places to go. I would also check out the front and back of the Smithsonian Castle building.

Enjoy you trip!

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 day Itinerary: Feedback Appreciated! Thanks :-)

It's a rare pleasure to see an itinerary hit a forum already pruned to a reasonable level and well-assembled. The White House visit could probably be moved, though. I take it you're just viewing from the outside? Especially in that case, you'll want more like 15 minutes than 2 hours, and I would pair it with the Washington Monument (squeeze it in before the Newseum) or the like, rather than leaving the Capitol Hill area and then returning for the Supreme Court. The slot in which you currently have the White House could be well spent on the American Indian Museum (which also has the best dining that's right on the Mall) or National Gallery.

London, England
Level Contributor
68 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 day Itinerary: Feedback Appreciated! Thanks :-)

Thank you all so much. Your feedback is very useful and appreciated!

I am soooo excited! :-) :-)

Once again, many thanks.

5. Re: 4 day Itinerary: Feedback Appreciated! Thanks :-)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 19:16