We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spy museum or crime and punishment museum

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
208 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Spy museum or crime and punishment museum

hi

from everyones experience if you had to pick one museum with kids in tow which would you chose out of the

spy museum or crime and punishment museum? :)

would love to do both but may need to choose.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,493 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spy museum or crime and punishment museum

what ages are your kids?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,598 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spy museum or crime and punishment museum

With all the free museums in DC with some fantastic things on exhibit, why go to either?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spy museum or crime and punishment museum

Niether. Spend your time in Smithsonians; money better spent. Oh wait! They are free.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
52 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spy museum or crime and punishment museum

I want to know also. The children in my group are 15, 16 and 17 and want to go to both also but we won't have time.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,493 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spy museum or crime and punishment museum

Neither one sounds so interesting to me, so I guess what interest you or your kids the most.

Why not just ask the kids which one they like to go see?

New York
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spy museum or crime and punishment museum

I've never been to the Spy Museum, but 2 years ago I took my then-13 year old son to the Crime & Punishment Museum and he loved it! He enjoyed it so much in fact that when we go back this summer that is his top spot that he wants to re-visit. If you and your children like CSI-type shows, then you'll probably enjoy the museum, if not, I'd skip it because it is quite expensive.

Edited: 27 April 2011, 21:26
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,657 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spy museum or crime and punishment museum

I've been to both the Spy Museum and the Crime and Punishment Museum and I'd have to say that the Crime and Punishment Museum was a lot more interesting. They have a bunch of interactive things to do--computer quizzes, criminal lineups, driving a police car simulator and even a pistol range simulator. The exhibits, especially the CSI Experience, are good too and range from medieval torture to pirates to western outlaws to gangsters to modern day criminals. .

While the Spy Museum had some interesting exhibits, it wasn't as interactive as the Crime and Punishment Museum. Also, since the Spy Museum is more well-known, it can get absolutely packed in there but we had no problem with crowds in the C&P.

As for kids, I would not recommend the Spy Museum for those under the age of 10 just because the exhibits require so much reading. I think that younger kids would enjoy the C&P Museum.

Finally, if you sign up for Goldstar, they regularly have 1/2 price deals for tickets to the C&P Museum.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
994 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spy museum or crime and punishment museum

Another vote for the Crime & Punishment Museum, for reasons stated above!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
208 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spy museum or crime and punishment museum

the kids are 2 (strapped in the stroller) 6, 12 & 38 :)

I know they cost money and the others are free, bargain lol

so the crime and punishment museum if any , half price goldstar great idea, but will pay then and there type thing i tend to think.ty:)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
361 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spy museum or crime and punishment museum

I personally prefer the Spy Museum - found it more interesting and seemed like more effort had been put in to the exhibits. But considering the age of your children, C&P may be better because it is a little more visual. I do think you will find getting around with a stroller will be a bit of a pain. I thought the C&P was a bit cramped in places, even on my own.